Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got my Evo back from the bodyshop...fitment issues?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my Evo back from the bodyshop...fitment issues?

Long story short I ran over rocks that a gravel truck spilled all over the road. Bumper, FMIC, oil cooler, passenger wheel and tire were replaced. After 6 weeks in the bodyshop, I picked the car up last night and saw this once I got home:

The bumper seems to be sticking out on the driver's side and the passenger side pushed in...and the hood is slightly misaligned.

I brought it back today and they tried to adjust it more to no avail. Keep in mind this is the best body shop in town. They also replaced one tire and didn't shave the tread to match because "nobody in this area does it". My insurance adjuster has been helpful in working with me so far but the people at the bodyshop don't seem terribly happy that I keep bringing the car back.

Does anybody else see a problem with this or am I just being **** retentive?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Take it back until you're happy. And don't go back there again after this if they do crap work.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow. Are you sure there is no frame damage? If that is the best shop in town... well dang!
Talk to TireRack guys on here about shaving the tire.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are some foam spacers under the bumper cover that can move and cause an uneven fit. The bumper cover needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Last edited by rongdoer; Jan 30, 2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: bumper cover, not the bumper itself
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Tire shave, I learn something new every day.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may just be me n the quality of the camera but is the little rubber "gasket" (for lack of a better term) that goes on the headlights present. That could close up the gap around the headlights. As for the bumper, what does the seam between the bumper and fender look like, it may be the foam inserts or the shop may have just pulled the bumper a lil far back where it mounts to the fender.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

do u know how to take bumper off by yourself? I would take it off and inspect throughout.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

idk if you claimed these repairs on your insurance or not but when I got hit in the front corner of my car my tire also got cut so needed replaced and they put one on and I found out I called and complained that they cant do that as my car is awd and it will mess it up. I ended up gettin 4 new tires
Old Jan 31, 2015, 02:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it oem or aftermarket bumper?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ryuartz
do u know how to take bumper off by yourself? I would take it off and inspect throughout.
I will be doing a thorough inspection after the bodyshop finalizes everything with the air duct and front lip

Originally Posted by slvrevo84
idk if you claimed these repairs on your insurance or not but when I got hit in the front corner of my car my tire also got cut so needed replaced and they put one on and I found out I called and complained that they cant do that as my car is awd and it will mess it up. I ended up gettin 4 new tires
I have been pressuring my adjuster towards that option since they don't know of any local places around that will shave a tire...I believe TireRack only shaves tires purchased new through them. The 1 new tire also seems to make my car pull towards the passenger side every time I let go of the steering wheel...

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Is it oem or aftermarket bumper?
OEM bumper.

Here's a picture not long before the accident:

As you can see the bumper fit noticeably better before...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wvrx

Here's a picture not long before the accident:

As you can see the bumper fit noticeably better before...
That is a really nice picture. My evo has a bit of an uneven gap as well. Makes me die a little on the inside every time I notice it.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:32 PM

If you lived close enough I would help but I doubt your anywhere near me. I work in one of the best body shops in my state, and I'm sure it's something simple that the hacks in the shop don't feel like messing with
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do your headlights have a plastic piece underneath that takes bolts to attach to the frame? I forgot these bolts on my car once and the front bumper looked misaligned with some extra spacing around the headlights, just like yours. As someone above said, I would pull the front bumper and make sure nothing is missing (bolts, styrofoam, etc).