Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

o2 Dump on DD evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:40 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by griz
Are there any real disadvantages to using a recirculated housing over dump? Was looking at getting the map o2 eliminator pipe with the recirculated option
Unless you trying to squeeze every last WHP out of the car, i see no real need for dumping to atmosphere. My old turbo cars did and I, personally, did not like the sound. I prefer the spool/whistle of the turbo, but that’s just me.
All the people I know that run a dump do so because they like the sound, not for performance reasons. We all run smaller turbos, so no real need, IMO.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright that's kinda what I figured, I'm OK with loud but external dump might be pushing it for me so I'll likely stick with recirculating. Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2015, 01:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by griz
Alright that's kinda what I figured, I'm OK with loud but external dump might be pushing it for me so I'll likely stick with recirculating. Thanks
could be worse. at least you don't live in CA
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:32 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I live in Portland so im not worried as much about the crazy emissions like CA, but just was wondering any cons of running an open dump on the daily lol
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:33 PM

And personally I love the sound So i guess its all good!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With a dumped O2 housing you can run a more restrictive quieter exhaust and daily drivingwill be much nicer. Than under load since up to 50% of exhaust volume can be dumped out the wastegate yummy don't lose power from restriction in exhaust. A recirc O2 will need a free flowing exhaust because all of it goes through the exhaust. This will make the car louder all the time and make daily driving get annoying. I have a quiet exhaust and a hood dumped wastegate. I love it.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
With a dumped O2 housing you can run a more restrictive quieter exhaust and daily drivingwill be much nicer. Than under load since up to 50% of exhaust volume can be dumped out the wastegate yummy don't lose power from restriction in exhaust. A recirc O2 will need a free flowing exhaust because all of it goes through the exhaust. This will make the car louder all the time and make daily driving get annoying. I have a quiet exhaust and a hood dumped wastegate. I love it.
I bought my car with the dump and exhaust already on it but mine is set up the same way. My current Evo is way quieter in daily driving than my previous one which had a recirculated O2 with larger piping and muffler.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:32 AM
kaj

50%?? holy crap, how big is your wastegate??? :P
turbo cars like open exhausts. i don't think an open dump would make that much of a difference unless you are running a very large turbo. even still, i've never seen one vent near 50% of exhaust gases.
a more restrictive exhaust is still going to be more restrictive. i'm basing my opinion on my experience with turbo cars (varying turbo setups on different cars).
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

I have a TiAl 44 wastegate. I got the 50% number from some reading I did somewhere. I think Robert from FP had stated that at some point in time.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:52 PM
kaj

I have a TiAl 44 wastegate. I got the 50% number from some reading I did somewhere. I think Robert from FP had stated that at some point in time.
i've seen some dual WG setups where the dump tubes could dang near equal the diameter of the exhaust. so i suppose it's possible.

all this is one reason i stick to stock-framed turbos. once you start going with a crazy setup, it never ends LOL. i've been down that long, long road once before.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 03:44 PM

I had a MAP O2 dump on my 8 DD and I didn't mind it at all, cops on the other hand didn't appreciate it
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:27 PM

I have an open O2 Dump in my Evo 8 straight out the hood, I personally love it especially when hitting boost, not to mention nighttime fireworks.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by The iLaunch Evo
I had a MAP O2 dump on my 8 DD and I didn't mind it at all, cops on the other hand didn't appreciate it

My Evo has an open O2 dump out of my hood, what kind of problems did you get with the cops? It is my first Evo so I am new to this game. Did you enjoy the O2 dump?

-Jose
Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

My car is already tuned with a tbe, intercooler, and intake. If I get an o2 dump will I have to retune? If I upgrade the exhaust manifold later on, I'll have to get another o2 dump correct?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:51 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by amn_suazo
My car is already tuned with a tbe, intercooler, and intake. If I get an o2 dump will I have to retune? If I upgrade the exhaust manifold later on, I'll have to get another o2 dump correct?
Possibly (depending on your setup and tune) and no.

Last edited by kaj; Feb 16, 2015 at 12:50 PM.

Quick Reply: o2 Dump on DD evo