Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

old rings in new pistons?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old rings in new pistons?

okay so i had one of the pistons get damaged due to timing belt failure, so i ordered a new set, my mechanic said to use the old rings which had less than 1000 miles on them in the new pistons as it will save time from breaking them in and it would be perfectly fine.

now when i start the car up after it gets warm, there is white smoke coming from the exhaust, now i dont know weather its due to the older rings being used in new pistons or my turbo going out because a piece of valve went into the turbo due to the previous failure.

now what i wanted to know is, can the older rings, which have only 1000 miles on them be used in the new pistons or i should replace them with the newer ones?

and is this the cause of the smoke? or maybe something else?

thanks,
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
if it was me i would have used new rings with new pistons.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
White smoke is coolant. Nothing to do with rings...

"Old" rings on new pistons is fine, as long as you used the same piston (manufacturer and bore size). Especially with that low mileage.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
White smoke is coolant. Nothing to do with rings...

"Old" rings on new pistons is fine, as long as you used the same piston (manufacturer and bore size). Especially with that low mileage.
if its the coolant, is it damaging the engine?

the manufacturer and the bore size are same, just the design is diffrent from previous piston, but the rings are same.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If rings aren't that expensive, I would just get new ones to go with new pistons. However, yours are relatively low mileage so it may be OK.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Coolant getting into the motor indicates there is a problem.......
Old Feb 9, 2015, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by babaz7
if its the coolant, is it damaging the engine?

the manufacturer and the bore size are same, just the design is diffrent from previous piston, but the rings are same.

Burning coolant indicates either a head gasket that isn't, a cracked head, or a cracked cylinder wall. So, it is a problem that needs to be solved.

You should be able to smell the difference. Burnt oil smells gross. Burnt coolant, while still kind of gross smelling, still smells mostly like coolant still since its technically not burnt, its just been turned into steam.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
it doesnt matter now, its been done. If it was me unless you are trying to save every dime, I would always put new with new.
You'll need to trouble shoot your white smoke, check compression, loss of water, head gasket, steam or smoke etc. Usually oil will push into radiator due to pressure but when you are motor off, water will then leak back into head via blown head gasket or crack, then you start up and hence steam coming out...
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
it doesnt matter now, its been done. If it was me unless you are trying to save every dime, I would always put new with new.
You'll need to trouble shoot your white smoke, check compression, loss of water, head gasket, steam or smoke etc. Usually oil will push into radiator due to pressure but when you are motor off, water will then leak back into head via blown head gasket or crack, then you start up and hence steam coming out...
i already checked compression, its as follows: 190 187 170 188

i cannot trouble shoot the rest now because the turbo is out of the car for repair, when everything is hooked up, i'll check the rest.

although i think i know what the problem is, i just read that if you have a 4g64 block you need a adapter plate for the water pump, which obviously the mechanic didnt know about and he installed it without the adapter plate. i have a 2.1L.

but the thing is, its not leaking? shouldnt water or coolant leak when you dont have an adapter plate?

i just hope that its the water pump adapter problem, and i dont have to pull off the head or change the rings.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Burning coolant indicates either a head gasket that isn't, a cracked head, or a cracked cylinder wall. So, it is a problem that needs to be solved.

You should be able to smell the difference. Burnt oil smells gross. Burnt coolant, while still kind of gross smelling, still smells mostly like coolant still since its technically not burnt, its just been turned into steam.
the head gasket and head studs are brand new, the block is a buschur built with just a 1000 miles, only one piston got damaged from the top, rest was fine.

maybe it could be the head, as i bought a used one.

but im leaning towards the adapter plate for the water pump not being installed, as i have a 4g64 block.

i will report back as the car gets ready once again.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
the head gasket and head studs are brand new, the block is a buschur built with just a 1000 miles, only one piston got damaged from the top, rest was fine.

but im leaning towards the adapter plate for the water pump not being installed, as i have a 4g64 block.

did you pressure test the head before you put it on?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Water pump plate won't make it smoke form the exhaust. You would just have a massive coolant leak from the water pump are that would occur as soon as coolant go to that level in the system...