Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

difference between turboback and catback

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
difference between turboback and catback

what is the difference between the two or is there any difference? this is my first turbo car. Looking to replace the exhaust but I am confused between the terms. What dies the downpipe do? Do I need it. Will Have I have to replace the complete stock exhaust ?? Please explain what I have to do. Is there any website that will explain this to me? I basically want added horsepower without any reliablity issues because this will be my daily driver. It has to be quiet or not much louder than stock. I am a newbie and need all your "expertise" in this matter. Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

The only difference between them is this:

A Turbo-back is everything from the o2 housing back. It includes the downpipe, catalytic converter (or test-pipe/cat-delete), and the rest of the exhaust to the 'tip'

Cat-back is just the piping that extends past the catalytic converter.

Hope this helped...
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

ok i will do my best to explain it to you even though it is kinda hard with out pics.

your exhaust system is comprised out of 3 parts: the catback, the cat itself and the downpipe. the catback is the part of the exhuast that starts after the cat and goes all the way to the end (this is the part with the muffler). before the catback you have the cat which can be replaced either with a high flow unit or with a test pipe which is basically an extension pipe. before the cat you have the downpipe. the downpipe is just a pipe that allows the gases to exit. idealy you will want to replace the entire system (all 3 parts) to allow a more free flowing system with fewer bends. you can change only the catback but you will get better results by replacing all 3 parts. also, you would want to do your best a match the diameter of the system. a full 3" catback will only flow as much as 2.5" if that is the size of your downpipe/cat.

i hope this clear it up a bit but i will also try to get you a pic.

thanks

Snir
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

god damint camdog, it took me 10mins to type this massege!!!
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

lol...you presented the answer in a much 'easier-to-understand' manner anyhow! 10 minutes well-spent! LOL!~
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:01 AM

catback

blonde, you are the my hero. thanks for the info and pictures. I am not confused anymore. I live in Rhode Island. We all should meet sometimes. throw me a line whenever anything is happening in ma ct or ri. thanks and nice to meet everyone. Oh, thanks eveyone for the reply also. Looking ar either ur, b&b or helix exhuast.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

OOOOOOO....Wow I love the pictures!!!

blonde, what system is that BTW...?

To add to the answers to your questions, Mungevo, I saw the last bit regarding "it has to be quiet or as close to quiet as stock": Any time you modify the exhaust, you will increase the noise. For example, once you delete the cats, you will increase noise. Once you change the muffler, you will increase the noise...

BTW, I noticed you are looking at the B&B exhaust, which traditionally, on other cars have been one of the LOUDEST exhausts.

I think that's the sacrifice you have to be prepared to pay is that if you modify the exhaust, you will increase the noise...I just wanted to forewarn you of your expectations regarding an aftermarket system that will be as quiet as stock.

Also, deleting the cats in some states (eg, CA), is not smog-legal. But, most of the time, cops can't tell because it is under the car.

Brent
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BLiu
OOOOOOO....Wow I love the pictures!!!

blonde, what system is that BTW...?

Brent
these are NOT my pics. i found them on here. the system is the HKS DP, PERRIN CAT DELETE PIPE AND HKS CARBON-TI CATBACK.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

If you want a quiet exhaust, then search for aftermarket exhaust systems with resonators (circled green on stock catback). I believe HKS, RMR (has 2 of them), Fujitama (sp?), JIC, and some others you may have to search.
Attached Thumbnails difference between turboback and catback-stockexh2.jpg  
Old Mar 17, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fujitsubo***. I highly recomend these exhuasts, though I have no experience with them, yet. I've seen and heard a fujitsubo exhuast on an RSX and the tone was perfect; depper than stock just a bit, but still quiet enough for daily driving. Then, under wide open throttle, it would scream. Also looks at the RsR, heard and read good thins about it.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, for those that haven't seen them there are some real turbo backs available. I have one - my "header" replaces both the O2 housing and the downpipe with a header that bolts directly on to the turbo. Check out the Vishnu website and look for the "Stage One Standard Exhaust". It's a nice unit and gives me a complete 3" exhaust.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I just had the Vishnu Turbo-Back exhaust installed on my car. This is also a daily driver. The exhaust is noticably louder on acceleration and deceleration. At WOT (wide-open-throttle) the car is LOUD in my opinion, not unpleasant but loud. On cruise on the low end of any given gear it's not much louder, however toward the top end of a gear (for cruising purposes, not performance) say 65mph in fourth gear or 90mph in fifth gear the drone becomes more pronounced. For a referance, if you liked the stock radio at volume "28" before, you would need it at "32" to drown out the new noise.

Another thing to remember, with the noise comes some new vibration too (noise is vibration after all).

But the important thing is power. I am at Vishnu Stage 0+ 93 octane now and the car is much faster and more consistant in the power delivery. BTW my clutch went before this stuff was added to the car, the stock clutch will be even more vulnerable to destruction with the added power.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

good job guys