Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking to buy first evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy first evo

Hey everyone,

I currently own a nissan pulsar but will be on my full licence soon and want to buy an evo. My price range allows me to get either an evo 6 or 7, my main question is what is your opinion between the two? I prefer the 7 but have heard that the first model in each series may have a few small problems as its only the first model in the series. Would anyone highly recommend an evo 6 over a 7? And are there any major common problems with evo 7's?

Definitely looking forward to joining the evo community!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
you might need to do some research on here on both models, use the search function and read away. I would recommend an evo 8 if you can afford it, but if you can't, look for both 6 and 7 and see if you can find a clean original one to start yourself out on.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
definitely would go with the 6. i personally would look at ones that are daily driven, meaning less of a problem. the ones that are built usually are never driven so there are hidden problems. imo.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
you might need to do some research on here on both models, use the search function and read away. I would recommend an evo 8 if you can afford it, but if you can't, look for both 6 and 7 and see if you can find a clean original one to start yourself out on.
Trust me I would get an 8 if I could but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. Thanks for your help too, I'll be sure to post updates once I find a nice base to start out with
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by sujinX
definitely would go with the 6. i personally would look at ones that are daily driven, meaning less of a problem. the ones that are built usually are never driven so there are hidden problems. imo.
Yeah I have been looking and want to get myself a nice stock base to start out with and want one that has been well run in and not had heaps done to it
Old Feb 17, 2015, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DJRose
Yeah I have been looking and want to get myself a nice stock base to start out with and want one that has been well run in and not had heaps done to it

The 6 has a bit of a cult following of hardline evo fans and seems to be higher priced in Australia than the 7's. For my little knowledge of the 7's it seems they had some design flaws which were addressed in the 8's, then the 8MR addressed the 8 design flaws and then the 9 addressed the 8MR design flaws then the 10 went backwards and became big and heavy with a touch more power stock
Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:42 PM

The 6 has a bit of a cult following of hardline evo fans and seems to be higher priced in Australia than the 7's. For my little knowledge of the 7's it seems they had some design flaws which were addressed in the 8's, then the 8MR addressed the 8 design flaws and then the 9 addressed the 8MR design flaws then the 10 went backwards and became big and heavy with a touch more power stock
Exactly, they are always going to get better with each design in each series. I'm not sure whether there's any major faults with the 7 that should stop me from buying it over a 6. Obviously I would get a 9 if I could be can't because of the price
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DJRose
Exactly, they are always going to get better with each design in each series. I'm not sure whether there's any major faults with the 7 that should stop me from buying it over a 6. Obviously I would get a 9 if I could be can't because of the price

theres an importer down at concord on the parramatta road, head down there, they usually have plenty of grey import EVOs to look at and go through just to get a good idea of the condition you can get them in, take a torch and slide under neath, when i was up in sydney this is what i did.
Hit car sales and get out there and check em out.

heres a start on info

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-67262804.html

MRT in Rhodes has a good website on the different models
http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/per...formance-guide

look here too

http://www.lancerregister.com/mlr_useraccess.php theres a pdf on all the models you can access

Last edited by Jonno99; Feb 17, 2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:05 PM

Talking

theres an importer down at concord on the parramatta road, head down there, they usually have plenty of grey import EVOs to look at and go through just to get a good idea of the condition you can get them in, take a torch and slide under neath, when i was up in sydney this is what i did.
Hit car sales and get out there and check em out.

heres a start on info

http://performanceforums.com/forums/...-67262804.html

MRT in Rhodes has a good website on the different models
http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/per...formance-guide

look here too

http://www.lancerregister.com/mlr_useraccess.php theres a pdf on all the models you can access

Thanks heaps dude, hopefully ill find the right one soon !!! Ill post up some pics when i do