Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Down pipe rubbing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Down pipe rubbing

Any one know of a spacer or something that can be placed between the exhaust manifold and the turbo to drop the turbo mounting location by about 1/4 - 1/2 inch so that my down pipe quits rubbing my oil pan?

Its been doing this sense i bought the car right around 3000 rpm...

Would a extra turbo flange such as the following be alright if i put a metal gasket on both sides of it?

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._evo_14020.htm

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, sense this is about exhaust, any one know of a catalytic converter that i can get that wont wear out after 3000 miles?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If you try and drop your turbo down .5" or whatever distance its then likely going to cause misalignment issues with your oil lines and maybe even coolant lines but not as likely since those have some give to them. Oh and your lower intercooler pipe.

Long story short, if you downpipe doesnt fit then fix the problem by attacking the source! Modify your downpipe to fit properly or buy yourself a new downpipe. As for your cat, I dont understand why they would be failing on you in such a short time period...but a stock unit or many of the aftermarket higher flowing cats should work fine.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the response. The rubbing got worse when i put on a new manifold (old one cracked) so I was assuming the mounting height was changed due to each manifold being made differently.

The cat that the dealership put on is a 2 inch opening that necks down from the 3 inch exhaust. my guess is a no name ebay special.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I see what you're saying...did you go with another tubular manifold or pick up a stock piece?

What are your goals for the car? Personally I think your best bet is to find a stock exhaust manifold (if you dont have one already) get it ported slap that sucker on there and then assuming you have a decent downpipe get yourself a test pipe or a high flow cat and call it a day. Assuming the aftermarket ones you pick up are decent they'll last a long time.

Do you know what downpipe you currently have on there and what aftermarket catback?(assumption based on 3" comment)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:57 PM

The manifold i put on is M2 Performance Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold - EVO 8/9

From: http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=91&page=1

I bought the car with the exhaust on it so im not sure...

I took apart the exhaust when i got it to measure it to see what was on it.

Power goals are none right now due to possible moving to California from NY in the next few months.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, well unfortunately the new manifold you bought is essentially another ebay special so that may be causing your downpipe rubbing issues. And it'll prob crack just as your last one did.

But now that you mention possibly moving to CA, picking up a stock exhaust manifold makes even more sense. Can you snap some pictures of the underside specifically of your current cat setup? Does it still use the "traditional" 2 bolt exhaust flanges?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
best thing u can do right now, search for a stock manifold (less than 100 shipped). if that still doesnt clear then its your downpipe.

u might be running to rich to be killing the cat that fast. i've used magnaflow cats before and they are good, im currently running a helix and it seems to be holding up. milspec makes really good high flow cats but not legal in cali. you should stay with 300 cell counts to be remotely legal in cali. good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:12 PM

I would but its in storage for the winter.
Im driving my AWD CRV 5-speed.

But yes it has the two bolt flanges. The turbo is also the stock one. STM confirmed this when i had it dynoed.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
best thing u can do right now, search for a stock manifold (less than 100 shipped). if that still doesnt clear then its your downpipe.
^Agreed start with finding a stock exhaust manifold which I'm sure you're not thrilled to be hearing...

As for the cat hopefully your downpipe and catback were meant to work with the stock stuff which if that is the case then you could pick up a stock cat or an aftermarket specific evo fitment cat. The majority of the aftermarket ones seem to hold up find that is unless your tune it frying them.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:30 PM

Alright, thank you guys.

As for the manifold i could care less, should have gotten it in the first place but the shiny got me.... again....

Im gonna keep the car registered in NY but thanks for the emission information.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How bad is it rubbing anyway? Does it rub all the time? Just when you shift gears? When engine idles? Have you tried denting the DP with a ball peen hammer ever so slightly at the point of contact?

Last edited by sparky; Feb 21, 2015 at 03:55 AM.