Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Burnt Copper Brembos and valve cover with silver Evo VIII?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burnt Copper Brembos and valve cover with silver Evo VIII?

I didnt like my valve cover too much so i shaved it and prepped it for paint, and I'm going to do the same with the brakes as they are faded and look bad... I'm thinking of spraying them down with either burnt copper or chrysler red. Here's what the red looks like:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...t6-d5k7m3k.jpg

and here's what the burnt copper looks like:

http://s666.photobucket.com/user/olf...A5692.jpg.html

What would you pick if you had the choice between these two? Apex Silver evo, and dark rota g-force rims are on the car right now.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You would have to make sure that its a ceramic based caliper paint...preferably a 2 stage like the G2 kit. Unfortunately from what I've seen the colors are limited to basic red, black, blue, green...etc and to be honest only the red and black look decent IMO. Your other option is to brake them down (remove the pistons..etc) and send them to be powder coated and cleared. You'll have a much larger selection of colors that way.

You can paint the valve cover as well, but I would lean towards powder coating that as well since its going to be more durable.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
You would have to make sure that its a ceramic based caliper paint...preferably a 2 stage like the G2 kit. Unfortunately from what I've seen the colors are limited to basic red, black, blue, green...etc and to be honest only the red and black look decent IMO. Your other option is to brake them down (remove the pistons..etc) and send them to be powder coated and cleared. You'll have a much larger selection of colors that way.

You can paint the valve cover as well, but I would lean towards powder coating that as well since its going to be more durable.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
I've actually painted a manifold and brakes with VHT 500F engine paint, and both held up really well for a year, then I sold the car. The brakes calipers still looked like i freshly painted them after that year, and i was honestly surprised. I'm just going the more affordable route right now as I'm not certain if i will end up keeping the car for long. But thanks for the input.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^^ speaks the truth. Unless there is burnt copper powder coat---think again, or you will be revisiting this in short order.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Had my wheels done in that color.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I vote burnt copper. Unless you are tracking the car, most engine ( VHT, etc. ) paints and the caliper paints ie. rattle cans will hold up just fine.