Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Airbag recall issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming if the airbag has already been deployed you'd be excluded from the recall? And if so, how much does a dealership typically charge to replace the passenger side airbag?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I got a recall paper in the mail for my 06. so its not only 04-05. I have so much done to mine (900whp on aem ecu) so I'm scared to let some random Mitsubishi tech even touch it. But its for my passengers safety. maybe they will let me bring it in without ecu, just roll it off a trailer and say have fun pushing it around.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:39 PM

just let them know NOT TO TOUCH your ECU.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I also have an '06 (MR) and I got the recall...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

No offense to the OP.

Manufactures are not always correct when it comes to saying how long your car will be needed. I work for Lexus and we do recalls on airbags and other things as well.

I understand that it is frustrating when you keep being told different things. But anytime you drop a car off for anything other than a minor service you should expect to drop it off. Every dealership is different and you don't know their workload for the day. A good dealership will move cars through at a great pace, But you need to take into account that after the car is written up by your service writer it may sit in the back lot of the shop for a couple hours until a tech is able to get working on it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 04:01 PM

I've read where the dash DOES need to come out, and I've read where it doesn't. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 25, 2015, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my letter to go do it. Problem is, the nearest mitsubishi dealership is 1 1/2 hrs away. Maybe I can call the 1800# and see if they will allow a local dealer to do it. why would the ECU need to be touched/messed with in anyway?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've delt with the same Evo mechanic at the same dearlership where I bought my car new. I've never has anything but good service. The mechanic told me that the dash has to come out for the passenger side air bag. He also invited me to stay as long as I wanted to watch, and he asked me to provide him with a list of anything he might need to know about (wireing for my AEM gauges, custom ground straps, etc). I'm due to have the air bag replaced Oct. 13, so I'll have my fingers crossed.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 01:37 PM
GLI

I took mine in to have it done and the dealer did not want to do it becuase of the alarm system on my car.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 01:49 PM

Got mine done about a month ago in Dallas. I also had aftermarket gauges, but mine ran down the left side of my windshield. Didn't have an issue with the dealership and to answer Stark-Tech, yes they do pull the dash.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 06:23 PM
GLI

I was told by the dealership that they would do the recall. They just told me they could not guarantee any aftermarket products would work after it was finished.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GLI
I was told by the dealership that they would do the recall. They just told me they could not guarantee any aftermarket products would work after it was finished.
They aren't allowed to eff up your car. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Document everything.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The passenger side air bag was replaced on October 13 by Prestige Mitsubishi, Turnersville, NJ. Dropped it off at 8am, picked it up 10am the next day. Relevant options on my Evo were a Gruppe S triple gauge panel w/ three AEM gauges, a speedometer, tach, center cluster gauge overlay, and an aftermarket alarm system. I gave the mechanic all documentation for everything when I dropped the car off.

When I arrived to pick the car up the following morning, I noticed that it was still parked in the same bay I left it in. I questioned the Service Manager about this, and he stated that they were not moving the car until I inspected it, and found everything to my satisfaction! Like most other Evo owners, I know my car front to back, top to bottom, under the hood, under the dash, etc. I literally could find no trace of any work whatsoever. There were no visable finger prints any where on my car. There were no scratches, dings, or damage inside or out when I dropped it off, and there were none when I picked it up. Everything works perfectly.

After reading some of the previous posts here, I have to admit that I was really nervous about this recall. In fact, I never slept the entire night my Evo was in the shop! So, if you're as worried as I was about this recall, there are some good dealerships out there. I hope you can find one as exceptional as the one I go to.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

All they ask me is what is the switch (e85-93Oct) for? I told them if they want me to I could remove it myself it has 2 screw. It took them nearly 3 hours. Paper works and me going thru the car after they finish it. All my main concern is them reflashing my ECU. they promise me they will touch the ECU.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 05:22 PM

Just remove your gauges before taking it in, that's what I did. Left the wires unplugged hanging in the footwell. The dealer told me they do take cars with aftermarket gauges, but they document what does and doesn't work before starting as they mentioned cases of people returning to the dealership stating their gauges which were never fully installed don't work.

Dash definitely has to come out, but thankfully they seem to be using new clips when they put it back in. I got my car back with a slight rattle in the dash gone.

They should not touch the ECU at all, but I'd be careful of leaving a dual-map switch in the glovebox. You don't want to get the car back with it switched.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Airbag recall issue