Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 Build!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evanwest94
Okay brotha I can tell there are some fire behind your words. This page is for the progress on my build. So how about you stop doubting, sit back and watch. Just because I dont have a million posts doesnt mean im new to all this. They dont just pick up any 20 year old to work on Lamborghini's and Ferrari's all day. Ive got it handled. Thank you.
No fire here man
Just noticing a distance between information given and the final concept. As a fellow technician I look at things with a similar but outside perspective. I've always liked another set of eyes when im headed into a build thread because I always miss something or concentrate on one aspect to much.
My goal was just to understand not insult.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:47 PM

I think ive seen your car before. The group sticker looks familiar. Think i seen a S2k with it as well. Nice car and build tho.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SR Concepts
No fire here man
Just noticing a distance between information given and the final concept. As a fellow technician I look at things with a similar but outside perspective. I've always liked another set of eyes when im headed into a build thread because I always miss something or concentrate on one aspect to much.
My goal was just to understand not insult.
I got you. Yeah the whole drivetrain should be complete by march of next year or a little after. As soon as I get the block back its going in along with the qm twin and then the turbo and cooler work will get started down at sheepey while I work on the fuel system. Im going to get a feel of the car and decide on the trans work I want to get done. From there its off to TRE (man that guy is hard to get a hold of) or shep if I go ppg. While the trans is out. Ill be doing some suspension work. And by that time I should have a good idea on wheels. And other floss items. I feel like Ive got a pretty solid plan. Its actually been under way since november and With everything ive got it come out around 45k without tuning. Which in my opinion is well worth it. The car is in great shape in and out I plan on keeping it for a while.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious. Why jam over the top guys in the business. (Ie buschur, cb, English.)

I've seen many different reviews of jam and I know some people will never recommend them.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Stout
Just curious. Why jam over the top guys in the business. (Ie buschur, cb, English.)

I've seen many different reviews of jam and I know some people will never recommend them.
My main goal is a good solid motor that will last. Jackson does all their machine work in house and they have cars with 700+awhp and 60k on the longblock never opened up. Most of these bad reviews are due to misunderstandings with the work being peformed. Not on the actual product itself. I contacted Tony with a goal of power and longevity. All of the questions I asked we answered thoroughly and made me feel very confident with my decision. Their head work from What I see is second to none. Their 20+ years of experience with the 4g63 platform also put ease on the process. I spoke to all of the engine builders listed and then some. Time is definetly not a big concern as theyve had my block for quite some time. But I believe the finished product will be more than worth the wait. Im very confindent with my decision and Tony has my trust 100%. in the end I told him my goal he set up a good estimate. Didnt over sell as I added more parts to the list and he is well aware no expense is spared with this build. A lot of the shops that are more active on the forum get a lot of shine but not every good build is on the internet. Being in the customer service/ auto repair and customisation business I can understand how customers can make a big deal out of a simple if not irrelevant problem and post all about it as ive seen a lot on this forum. I also know there are two sides to every story. All in all im rooting for the underdog on this one and I hope this build will be a stepping stone to building the rep of jackson auto machine again.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a crazy build
Why didn't you want to build it yourself? With Lamborghini and Ferrari technician traning its a peice of cake comparatively.
Did you buy a long block there or shoot em yours?
You can save yourself a ton of money if you still have your long block.
The service manuals really detailed and lays it all out.
I was nervous when I did my 2.4 for my upcoming build I usually sent my block out(keep in mind im an ase master cert)
For some reason I always wanted to feel like it was someone else's fault haha. Call it pride before... but now it's easy man ill always build a 63/64!
Just saying if you hadn't considered....
Old May 15, 2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by SR Concepts
Sounds like a crazy build
Why didn't you want to build it yourself? With Lamborghini and Ferrari technician traning its a peice of cake comparatively.
Did you buy a long block there or shoot em yours?
You can save yourself a ton of money if you still have your long block.
The service manuals really detailed and lays it all out.
I was nervous when I did my 2.4 for my upcoming build I usually sent my block out(keep in mind im an ase master cert)
For some reason I always wanted to feel like it was someone else's fault haha. Call it pride before... but now it's easy man ill always build a 63/64!
Just saying if you hadn't considered....
Oh it has definetly crossed my mind and the plan for a while was to do it myself. But the machine shops in my area do not have the same equipment as jacksons and the surface finish needed for a cometic headgasket to be useful can not be acomplished with my local machine shop. Im positive I could throw something together, now whether that would last as long as I hope is another story. The more research I did the more obvious jackson came to make more sense. Im actually considering changing trades (Locomotive) so having my evo motor torn apart at my shop wouldnt be that good of an idea haha.

Last edited by evanwest94; May 15, 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old May 16, 2015, 04:15 PM

As far as I see, it seems as a solid plan.

Just to say, (mostly to show off), the important (and the most costly thing in my opinion, eventually), is to do something without speculating any results, but to have a reason...

keep up, as you have earned my attention...
Old May 22, 2015, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to your progress.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 01:07 PM

Update

The longblock is here

2.3 bottom end:
Manley Billet 100mm stroker crankshaft
Manley Turbo Tuff rods
Custom Venolia pistons +.020 10.5:1 compression
ACL race bearings

Head:
Stage 3 port and polish
Competition valve job
+1mm valves
Manley dual valve springs with titanium retainers
Manley hardend valve locks
3mm big bore lifters
Comp cams 265/265
Cometic head gasket

Accessories:
OEM gasket kit
Gates water pump
Gates kevlar timing belt
New tensioners, adjuster arm, etc.
OEM oil filter housing
AMS oil pan
ARP L19 head studs
Fluidamper

Also bought a new bike haha

Old Sep 29, 2015, 03:44 PM

That things going to be dope. Nice Setup.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris725
That things going to be dope. Nice Setup.
Thanks man, good things coming!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you had me at tercel lol..looks like a wicked build..
Old Oct 1, 2015, 05:42 AM

Subbed. Jelly of the new bike also. Haha.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 07:25 AM

what turbo will you be running with that setup?

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Build!