Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my first track session with my findings.....plus a video

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
my first track session with my findings.....plus a video

So this was my aim when I got my evo a few months ago, to get on the track and experiance the speed.
For all the guys who have never tracked their evo, I must say its the ultimate blast to circulate on a large track with your mates and other cars worth up to 10 times more.

To me it was all about, chosing your lines and relying on your tyres and brakes to keep you safe. When your pulling around a corner right behind another car it seemed like a battle on whose tyres would let go first and how hard you can push it. The adren pump was incredible and when you get in the zone, nothing in life matters anymore

Another thing is that you can't really go out and race your mates as you would say, there are rules like you can only overtake down the straight or when the guy in front signals with his hand. So what this means is that if your behind your mate and he comes up behind another car who signals for him to go around, then you come up to the slower car and he doesnt signal then you are now seperated from your mate and need to try and catch him up when you get a chance to go around the slow guy.....so your really not racing anyone out there especially in the beginners session.

Also the brakes worked well, just put in DS2500s and on fresh advanro8's so I had more grip and brakes then I knew what to do with. My lines were usually all over the place as you need to plan as you come up to the corners, not go around and see what happens. I also had problems finding third, everytime I slipped back down from 4th to go to 3rd it would go up to 5th and not 3rd, I sort of had to manually find 3rd. I think the car has a short shift kit in it. Its a 6 speed.

It has standard suspension with whitelines front and back and around corners was very neutral, no front or back stepping out etc

The straight was about a klm long and I was doing about 200kmph three quarters of the way down, turn 1 about 140kmph.

At the track briefing they really put the wind up you....like oh by the way, the grass is very slippery and we have had 5 offs today already and all 5 hit the wall, with two right offs etc

I also noticed its ok to push hard around a slow 80 to 90 kmph corner, but when you come up to a sweeper when you need to be doing 160 kmph, effectively around a corner, it meant really trusting your car and tyres and I was backing down everytime, just didnt have the ***** to go there especially with a large tyre wall about 10 metres from the outside of the bend. I guess its just knowing and trusting your car...

So for all you guys thinking about it, just do it and you will discover a whole new world of fun.

the below was the last session i shot a video and it was a twilight session, so going around a circuit in the dark. There was a skyline I was trying to catch and right at the last second I got up to him just when the session end lights came on...lol

https://vimeo.com/123724010

Last edited by Jonno99; Mar 31, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Epic. Yeah I remember my first track day. Nothing quite like getting out there and having fun .
Old Apr 1, 2015, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time
Old Apr 2, 2015, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jonno99
So this was my aim when I got my evo a few months ago, to get on the track and experiance the speed.
For all the guys who have never tracked their evo, I must say its the ultimate blast to circulate on a large track with your mates and other cars worth up to 10 times more.

To me it was all about, chosing your lines and relying on your tyres and brakes to keep you safe. When your pulling around a corner right behind another car it seemed like a battle on whose tyres would let go first and how hard you can push it. The adren pump was incredible and when you get in the zone, nothing in life matters anymore

Another thing is that you can't really go out and race your mates as you would say, there are rules like you can only overtake down the straight or when the guy in front signals with his hand. So what this means is that if your behind your mate and he comes up behind another car who signals for him to go around, then you come up to the slower car and he doesnt signal then you are now seperated from your mate and need to try and catch him up when you get a chance to go around the slow guy.....so your really not racing anyone out there especially in the beginners session.

Also the brakes worked well, just put in DS2500s and on fresh advanro8's so I had more grip and brakes then I knew what to do with. My lines were usually all over the place as you need to plan as you come up to the corners, not go around and see what happens. I also had problems finding third, everytime I slipped back down from 4th to go to 3rd it would go up to 5th and not 3rd, I sort of had to manually find 3rd. I think the car has a short shift kit in it. Its a 6 speed.

It has standard suspension with whitelines front and back and around corners was very neutral, no front or back stepping out etc

The straight was about a klm long and I was doing about 200kmph three quarters of the way down, turn 1 about 140kmph.

At the track briefing they really put the wind up you....like oh by the way, the grass is very slippery and we have had 5 offs today already and all 5 hit the wall, with two right offs etc

I also noticed its ok to push hard around a slow 80 to 90 kmph corner, but when you come up to a sweeper when you need to be doing 160 kmph, effectively around a corner, it meant really trusting your car and tyres and I was backing down everytime, just didnt have the ***** to go there especially with a large tyre wall about 10 metres from the outside of the bend. I guess its just knowing and trusting your car...

So for all you guys thinking about it, just do it and you will discover a whole new world of fun.

the below was the last session i shot a video and it was a twilight session, so going around a circuit in the dark. There was a skyline I was trying to catch and right at the last second I got up to him just when the session end lights came on...lol

https://vimeo.com/123724010

Sounds like you had a blast i still remember my first track day

you are describing a Point by this is because you were on your first track event. As time progresses and you increase skill you will eventually reach "open" group which is "open passing" and has a race like environment... so you can not pass openly unless you are in the more advanced group.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome
Old Apr 4, 2015, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome vid, night session looks fun