Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2003 Evo 8 build

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date guys, i have been quite busy with work. i am happy to report that there has been a good amount of progress with the build. Wheels and tires came in a couple weeks ago. I ended up going simple, cheap, yet functional. the wheels are 17x9+15 rota grids in hyper black. They weigh right at 20 lbs a piece, look great, and were right at 700 for a set of 4, so I'll call that a win. For tires I was looking for a soft compound since I hope to get into autocross this year. After some searching i ended up picking up Bfg rivals in 245/40/17. That was the size i was originally planning on going with, but it just so happened that tire rack was closing out there 2013 stock in that size, so i picked them up for 132 a piece which i was thoroughly impressed with. Sourced a set of muteki neo chrome lug nuts locally, mounted the wheels and tires, and they look fantastic as expected. Also got the hood on, paint matches almost perfect, i cant tell the difference and it looks considerably better than my aged seibon did. Sourced a boost controller from a member on the forums, got that in. That brings us to the last week, and minor issues such as a dead battery and a bad slave cylinder. Minor setbacks. last night before i headed to work i received a video from my builder of the car running for the first time. Car sounds fantastic! A tad lean and the cams are making it run rough, but other than that i couldn't ask for much more. I probably wont be able to upload the video, but i have some pictures to follow after i wake up this after noon. As for now, its been a long night at work, so im going to get some shut eye. but i figured id get this updated for those of you who are following. Thanks!
Old May 7, 2015, 02:35 PM

Here are some pictures of the wheels and tires before mounting. Excuse the messy floor, but my dog enjoys shredding fluffy toys.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Evo 8 build-imag0079.jpg   2003 Evo 8 build-imag0083.jpg   2003 Evo 8 build-imag0103.jpg   2003 Evo 8 build-imag0101.jpg  
Old May 7, 2015, 02:44 PM

and on to the car itself. The last pictures is of it running for the first time since last June, thanks for following!
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Evo 8 build-imag0105.jpg   2003 Evo 8 build-imag0107.jpg   2003 Evo 8 build-imag0106.jpg   2003 Evo 8 build-img_1073.jpg  
Old Jun 30, 2015, 04:50 PM

Its been a little while since I updated this thread, so I feel as though an explanation is in order. So where we left off:May 7th was the first time since failure that car actually ran again. We put it through 4 heat cycles, than played the waiting game. Finally on june 23rd the car was tuned, and I was able to bring it home on the 24th. We didn't come close to our goal, mainly just because the shop and tuner decided to keep it on pump until I opted to go for a different turbo setup. However, we did make 335/345 at 22 psi, which I am happy with. After about 4 oil changes of brad penn 20w 50 and about 650 miles, I finally got to feel a little bit of what its got and the car feels absolutely amazing. Incredible midrange power, and it handles great on the fortune autos. Much smoother than expected. I feel as though the motor has so much more potential, but on this setup the piece of mind knowing there is very little strain on anything is more than enough for me, and the power is not disappointing. I will be getting it all cleaned up once the rain stops, and pictures will be to follow. Thanks all for reading, there will continue to be updates as they arise.