Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

anyone else thinking about trying the new ford focus rs when it comes out

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I'd be surprised if its more expensive then a STi to upgrade.

I'm thinking that its going have big support and performance potential will be on par with the Evo X at a minimum (The optimist in me is hopping its solid like the Evo8/9 and around the same cost to modify but daily driver liveable like a EvoX........I knwo thats a tall order).

On a sidenote how the hell are you dude? Haven;t seen you on here in a while.
H to tha R to tha L... I am doing good buddy... Picked up another evo as a daily, the black car has a bad tick in the engine and I need to drop it off with Spec-Ops so they can diagnose and tear it apart... I am thinking it may be a wrist pin, but not quite sure what it is... I was in Raleigh a few weekends ago, I had to drop my girl off at the airport down there since all the flights were booked in VA... Hope all is well with ya
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah everything is ok. Finally getting close to getting my car back. Been there since last year. Is Mike still in Va or is he back on the west coast?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdlewh
More room than the Evo for what? If you think that .3L will allow it to produce more power when modded than a 2.0L 4G63 ask the STI people and their 2.5L how that's going for them.
Boxer motor the 2.3 EcoBoost not, not that I'm disagreeing about the .3L being a big deal power potential wise.

I'm just glad there are more offerings of the AWD in this space with the Evo going away.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking for a new car aswell. The focus rs would be something to consider.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 07:40 PM

No chance, looks like a catfish in the front and has the appearance of the Egg WRX on the sides. Will keep the IX and for 35-40k this ugly *** car will cost I'll pick up a slightly used C6 Z06.

More room than the Evo for what? If you think that .3L will allow it to produce more power when modded than a 2.0L 4G63 ask the STI people and their 2.5L how that's going for them.
No replacement for that displacement. Porsche makes there pancake motor work. I think the RS will spool just as quick as an Evo. It will be interesting to see what they are like in person.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
IMO they look ugly in pics. Would rather have a Mustang.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yeayeaatou
No replacement for that displacement. Porsche makes there pancake motor work. I think the RS will spool just as quick as an Evo. It will be interesting to see what they are like in person.
No replacement for displacement lol, get out of the 1970's man. Like I said, ask the Subby guys how they are doing with their 2.5L's compared to the little 2L in Evo's. Spoiler alert, they don't make anywhere near the power some of the top 4G63's are. There is a lot more to an engine than just displacement and the laughable .3L isn't going to add anything to the Ford besides better drive ability around town.

2.0L closed deck iron block > 2.3L open deck aluminum block.

* Not 100% sure it will be open deck, just got that from gugling. Either way I would imagine it's going to be open or semi closed.

Boxer motor the 2.3 EcoBoost not, not that I'm disagreeing about the .3L being a big deal power potential wise.

I'm just glad there are more offerings of the AWD in this space with the Evo going away.
More offerings are only good when the product is good. I think the IX has spoiled me and I don't see anything in the AWD / 4 banger category that interests me or could replace my IX. Guess it's time to get back into a Vette so I can have my cake and eat it to.

Last edited by jdlewh; Apr 17, 2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
No replacement for displacement lol, get out of the 1970's man. Like I said, ask the Subby guys how they are doing with their 2.5L's compared to the little 2L in Evo's. Spoiler alert, they don't make anywhere near the power some of the top 4G63's are. There is a lot more to an engine than just displacement and the laughable .3L isn't going to add anything to the Ford besides better drive ability around town.

* Not 100% sure it will be open deck, just got that from gugling. Either way I would imagine it's going to be open or semi closed.

More offerings are only good when the product is good. I think the IX has spoiled me and I don't see anything in the AWD / 4 banger category that interests me or could replace my IX. Guess it's time to get back into a Vette so I can have my cake and eat it to.
Full Factory backed performance parts support and tuning. 400+hp AWD with full warranty. Sounds like fun to me. I personally can't wait

I will not be getting rid of my VIII either way so that's a non issue.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Full Factory backed performance parts support and tuning. 400+hp AWD with full warranty. Sounds like fun to me. I personally can't wait

I will not be getting rid of my VIII either way so that's a non issue.
You're going to have 2 of almost the same car? Seems like such a waste. Evo going to get turned into a track car and the catfish into a DD?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You're going to have 2 of almost the same car? Seems like such a waste. Evo going to get turned into a track car and the catfish into a DD?
Seems more like Awesome to me, when one has an issue you can take the other one out without much fun loss
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jmills
Seems more like Awesome to me, when one has an issue you can take the other one out without much fun loss
I guess variety is a bad thing then? An Evo and a C6 Z06 in the garage sounds awesomer to me.

EDIT: Was talking to one of my STI buddies about the RS and he said they aren't true AWD. He was saying they run FWD most of the time and if the rear starts to slip then power is sent back accordingly. Any truth to this, seems very Mazda Speed6ish to me.

Last edited by jdlewh; Apr 17, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpt6
IMO they look ugly in pics. Would rather have a Mustang.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. I think they look awesome......but I'm a sucker for hatchbacks.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Hey at least it has iron sleeves.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I guess variety is a bad thing then? An Evo and a C6 Z06 in the garage sounds awesomer to me.

EDIT: Was talking to one of my STI buddies about the RS and he said they aren't true AWD. He was saying they run FWD most of the time and if the rear starts to slip then power is sent back accordingly. Any truth to this, seems very Mazda Speed6ish to me.
Alot of AWD systems work like this but I thought the RS's AWD didn't work like that.

I have an STi (Wifes) and a Evo and even though they are technically the same car they drive and feel completely different.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Hey at least it has iron sleeves.
Did not know that, one decent thing about it then. You know, besides that extra .3L that will enable it to make so much MOAR POWWWWWA than our little 2L's. No replacement for displacement!

Alot of AWD systems work like this but I thought the RS's AWD didn't work like that.

I have an STi (Wifes) and a Evo and even though they are technically the same car they drive and feel completely different.
I don't think any "performance" AWD systems work like that though do they? I mean, I wouldn't call the MS 6 a performance car. I could be totally off on this and I'm not trying to spread bad info, just curious.

I had an STI before my Evo and yeah they do drive totally different. I think my Scoob handled the snow a lot better than my Evo but my Evo is making a lot more power so that could have something to do with it.

Last edited by jdlewh; Apr 17, 2015 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone else thinking about trying the new ford focus rs when it comes out