Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Problem with aftermarket cruise!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Problem with aftermarket cruise!

Hey guys,

I had a Rostra Ultracruise II installed yesterday, and had it Un-installed today! It was OK at holding speed, but if I tried to use the "resume" function it would do a MASSIVE overshoot.

For example, if I had it set to 70 and someone was hogging the fast lane so I had to slow down to 65, after they pulled over to the slow lane I would hit "resume".... at that point the car would accelerate VERY rapidly up to 90 mph and then creep back down to the set speed of 70 mph. The same thing would happen if I tried to use the "accelerate" function to change the setting from 69 mph to 70 mph. Just tap the button, blow past cars doing 90 and then creep down to 70.

I took it back to the place that installed it and they made all kinds of calls to tech support trying to figure out how to get it to work and finally concluded that my car is to powerful to use their product.

I can't see how this would be the problem, but perhaps I am wrong. At this point and time I have aprox 400 HP at the crank shaft (332 at the wheels on dynapack AWD dyno).

Are they way off base and just don't know how to set it up? Or are they correct, and I can't get a cruise system that will work on my car?

Thanks guys,

Keith
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont understand why power has anything to do with this because you are in 5th gear anywayz... yeah you would pull harder then lets say a stock evo in 5th but not significantly to throw a cruise control off... at 70 your on the edge of the powerband... well thats my opinion. i was thinking the cruise is just incompatible with something else..
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mifesto
i dont understand why power has anything to do with this because you are in 5th gear anywayz... yeah you would pull harder then lets say a stock evo in 5th but not significantly to throw a cruise control off... at 70 your on the edge of the powerband... well thats my opinion. i was thinking the cruise is just incompatible with something else..
I don't see how the power could be the problem either, and many other EVO owners are using this cruise setup.... so I don't see how they managed to screw it up. They gave me a full refund, and I will take any info from other Rostra system owners to them to see if they screwed something up and there is an obviouse fix.

Later,

Keith
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

How much was the kit? does the retailer have a web site?

Thanks for the info. on the out come of the install.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Even if they installed it correctly, the control system may not be tuned correctly for the Evo. Higher power is a factor that a good control system would be able to handle, but who knows what kind of response function the thing is programmed with? If it's settings are fixed, then there's no solution. If you can change the gain or tune it somehow, then maybe you can get it to work better.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

set the response gain to low .. it's in the dip switches in the electronic unit .. it is factory preset to mid I think .. the instruction manual said to adjust this if the response is either too high(your case) or too low ..
Old Mar 19, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

can you give us more info on the system. where you got it from or weblink info. i know alot of us out here are looking at some aftermarket setup. thanks
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.mnrelectronics.com/

bought mine from them .. online .. mike was pretty cool about this as he doesn't do overseas alot .. yet still shipped the unit to me after some negotiations

I use the RF controller attached to the steering wheel
Old Mar 20, 2004, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by gunzo
http://www.mnrelectronics.com/

bought mine from them .. online .. mike was pretty cool about this as he doesn't do overseas alot .. yet still shipped the unit to me after some negotiations

I use the RF controller attached to the steering wheel
How does the RF unit work? Got any pictures of it mounted on the steering wheel? Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

after reading the article you should have lots of adjustments and this problems should be fixable. one even mentions your problem .
Old Mar 21, 2004, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mksevo
after reading the article you should have lots of adjustments and this problems should be fixable. one even mentions your problem .
What article are you talking about?

Keith
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I have a Rostra unit as well, this is very tricky. You need to set the cruise up for the 8cyl configuration. When you set this unit up as a 4cyl, it thinks its a 1982 corolla so it surges the hell out of the gas. You want it to pulse about 1/2 has much as that setting. It'll work fine after that. Apparently, the engineers at Rostra think only 8 cyl engines have enough power to hold consistent speed.

http://www.rostra.com/cruise-control.htm

Get Part # 250-3742
Old Sep 5, 2004, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Even though this thread is months old I appreciate your response! I may go ahead and have them re-do the setup (they removed it when they couldn't get it to work).

Thanks,

Keith
Old Sep 5, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Don't put luxury stuff on rally cars ... problem solved!
Old Sep 5, 2004, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
Don't put luxury stuff on rally cars ... problem solved!
You are so much help.

Quick Reply: Problem with aftermarket cruise!