Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05' EVO VIII Noise hum/moan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' EVO VIII Noise hum/moan

Hello guys and gals -

I was wondering if you guys have ever heard of this issue as I know you are experts: About 2 weeks ago I noticed a slight humming noise from under my car, maybe under my feet or slightly behind me, at speeds above 15 mph. The noise is intermittent and happens about only 25% of the time while driving. It makes the same noise wether the car in in gear or in neutral. My tires are in good shape and had an alignment done about 2 years ago so because it's intermittent I don't think it's my tires.

It's a very slight - but noticeable - hmmm hmmm then goes away and comes back randomly and intermittently within a few minutes.

I took it to a local shop that did my state inspection and the owner said he could hear it but said he didn’t think he would find anything with it up on the lift. He also said he didn’t think it was drivetrain related, and maybe something in the the exhaust was making the sound, to me it doesn’t sound exhaust related. I think it may be drivetrain related. What would you look for? Gear oils? Wheel bearing (but does not get louder when turning either direction).

Any help is greatly appreciated as obviously I would like to catch something possible minor before becoming major.

Last edited by ashton13; Apr 18, 2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible DP hitting the tie bar? Take a look at it man and check it out. If it is, use some washers to space it out.