Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I just bought my first evo8 and I love it!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015 | 06:12 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Tylor_cavallo
I prefer kelford cams. But I hear buddyclub is comparable.
The XSPower intercooler kit I already ordered and it just came on saturday. And it's a 3.5 in core. I know 3 people that run this setup. And there's no heat sink at 421+ hp. Which is about where I'm shooting for. The shipping was quality packed and the product is well made. Doesn't feel or look cheap. I'm gunna install it and take it to willow and see how it compares to stock.
I've heard of and personally seen a LOT of XS Power parts cracking over the years (since like 2006 or so). If it holds up, lucky you. Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. Hope it all works out for you.

Buddy Club cams are not comparable to Kelfords. Kelford 272s are one of the best sets of cams you can get (along with offerings from GSC and Buschur to name a few). There's a reason you can pick up a set of Buddy Clubs for super cheap...
Old Apr 28, 2015 | 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20
Why not? I'm not trying to pawn on him. I'm in this evo game since 2003 long enough to know between facts and bull****. I offered him the cams for really good price because I have them laying around after installed the whole HKS GT-II turbo kit. He's local. The cams make good power, minimal lag, idle great, no throwing code, great drivability and perfect match for stock turbo. Off course there could be better options but you may also need upgraded turbo, giving up spool, power band moves further to the right, could be expensive and not easy to find.

Please don't make arrogant statement like that.
It's not an arrogant statement at all. I've been in the 4G63 game long before 2003 (back when HKS 272s were still tops) so I know a thing or two as well. The most important thing I learned is to start with what you absolutely want instead of just buying parts to buy parts. If he truly wants a set of Buddy Clubs because they're good enough for him then more power to him. If he ever wants to maximize his car's potential then it's not the best route to go. I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars before figuring out this simple lesson. Just trying to help the man out.

Also, by pawning off, I meant vultures coming in to threads started by a fresh Evo owner trying to sell cheap parts cheap. Sounds like you're actually trying to help the man out as well.

Side note: my Kelfords gave me an awesome powerband over the stockers with minimal increase in noticable lag. Not a hiccup since something like 2007 or 2008 (can't remember when I put them in).
Old Apr 29, 2015 | 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by NoahAb8595
Hows it holding up at 90k+ miles? you worried about it crossing over in the 100,000
It's holding up great. Gunna do a clutch on it soon. And I'm suuuuper nervous crossing into 100,000 miles haha I was totally debating after having a dream to trade it in for a X hahaha
Old Apr 29, 2015 | 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
It's not an arrogant statement at all. I've been in the 4G63 game long before 2003 (back when HKS 272s were still tops) so I know a thing or two as well. The most important thing I learned is to start with what you absolutely want instead of just buying parts to buy parts. If he truly wants a set of Buddy Clubs because they're good enough for him then more power to him. If he ever wants to maximize his car's potential then it's not the best route to go. I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars before figuring out this simple lesson. Just trying to help the man out.

Also, by pawning off, I meant vultures coming in to threads started by a fresh Evo owner trying to sell cheap parts cheap. Sounds like you're actually trying to help the man out as well.

Side note: my Kelfords gave me an awesome powerband over the stockers with minimal increase in noticable lag. Not a hiccup since something like 2007 or 2008 (can't remember when I put them in).

Should I get the kelford 272's? My buddy has a set of kelford 280's for 200$ I'm gunna pick up. I know I can't run those but I'm hoping someone would wanna trade for gsc s2 or kelford 272's
Old May 1, 2015 | 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tylor_cavallo
Should I get the kelford 272's? My buddy has a set of kelford 280's for 200$ I'm gunna pick up. I know I can't run those but I'm hoping someone would wanna trade for gsc s2 or kelford 272's
You can't go wrong with them. If I had an VIII I'd personally go with the Buschur BF272s but the Kelfords and GSCs perform pretty effin good. Can't go wrong with any of those.

You might not find someone that wants to trade for used cams. Just save up a couple more bucks and buy a new set.
Old May 6, 2015 | 01:34 AM

welcome to the club man!