Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Easiest way to replace rear wheel stud?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Easiest way to replace rear wheel stud?

I have the rotor / caliper off. I removed the broken stud with a ball join separator and was able to shimmy it out. Now I'm trying to install the new stud, but the ebrake assembly is in the way...

Is the only way to do this to remove the hub assembly? I currently don't have an axle nut socket. Or is there some way to remove the ebrake assembly without removing the hub assembly?
Old May 3, 2015, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
I have the rotor / caliper off. I removed the broken stud with a ball join separator and was able to shimmy it out. Now I'm trying to install the new stud, but the ebrake assembly is in the way...

Is the only way to do this to remove the hub assembly? I currently don't have an axle nut socket. Or is there some way to remove the ebrake assembly without removing the hub assembly?
ARP Extended Rear Wheel Stud seems like a good place to start.

In this case the e-brake assembly was removed while leaving the axle nut staked in place.
Old May 3, 2015, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you remove axle nut and the 4 bolts holding the wheel bearing in place. use and slide hammer to pull out the hub bearing you should be able to install wheel stud with out removing e-brakes.
Old May 3, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_latino999
ARP Extended Rear Wheel Stud seems like a good place to start.

In this case the e-brake assembly was removed while leaving the axle nut staked in place.
That's what I ended up doing. Unfortunately Step # 5 was not easy at all for me. The spring cups were a huge problem and I ended up spending a good portion of the day trying to get E brake assembly back on. I ended up buying 6 in long nose locking pliers to help with getting the sprign cups back on. What I did was depress the spring cup on the sprring with the locking pliers and then with the other hand used regular long nose pliers to spin the shoe hold down spring pin. After I figured that out it was pretty "easy".

This video helped a lot with the e brake assembly:

Originally Posted by MRolla
if you remove axle nut and the 4 bolts holding the wheel bearing in place. use and slide hammer to pull out the hub bearing you should be able to install wheel stud with out removing e-brakes.
I was tempted to do that, but I didn't have a slide hammer and I was really afraid of the hub being siezed to knuckle.. Next time I think I will do that.

Last edited by Kreeker; May 3, 2015 at 07:01 PM.