Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad e85 or map sensor?? Or.....

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad e85 or map sensor?? Or.....

Okay so here's what happened the other day. Ill try to keep this from dragging on but want you to know the full details on what happened the other day.

Picked up a new evo about a month ago... Been running good so far, 650 whp, e85, speed density, full bolt ons.

So I got the car tinted the other day had about a qt tank of e85. Decided to fill it up before I went home.. I have been getting fuel from the same place for the last month and had recently got fuel wed. No issues. Got the car tinted Saturday and fuel fuel right after... Got about 5 minutes down the road and car started running funky... Wind and standing at 10 afr. (Usually runs 14.5-15 cruise). I pull over pop the hood for for a blow cooler pipe or vac line. Everything was in tacked! NOW... Here's what I noticed after looking things over, my oil dip stick TUBE was loose and half way blow out of the hole... Pushed it back in checked the oil and was a quart low. Went to the parts store with a buddy put a new o ring in and some sealer got it fired up. Was still running crappy though. Managed to cruise it back to his house and during the cruise I noticed it running lean... Like 16- the double dashes... Still held an idle at stop lights. Noticed sometimes the wideband would be sparatic and go all over the place after a pull. 11-16 for a good 3 minutes and would go back to normal. Didn't seem
Like an 02 as I could feel it hesitate. Got back to his house and checked for culprits. (Fuel press., compression, spark, vac lines, boost leak.) everything checked out good! Tried to fire it up and now will not idle with out gas nor start without throttle. So here's something to note

The other day I bumped the omni 4 bar map sensor or connector when running and basically stalled. And did the horrible low low idle noise. We hit it a few times and the wires and started back up and idled. This is why I'm thinking map
Sensor maybe? When we pulled the sensor out the other day it was full of oil!

And obviously had just filled up with 85 right before this happened, so maybe bad fuel? I don't want to start ordering parts that arnt needed ya know. Does this sound like a bad map
Sensor or bad fuel?

Any Input would be awesome new on here but been in the evo world for years! Need you experts and thoughts please! Sorry for the long thread just wanted to give full detail. I work thirds so if I don't respond back right away I will get back to ya
Old May 5, 2015, 03:24 PM

Anyone?? I just pulled the injectors out and they arnt clogged or anything... Regulator was good. Has the factory one on but going to mount the aftermarket. I just don't get how it was running fine and out of the blue just won't idle and runs lean!

HELLLP lol
Old May 5, 2015, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
So you had oil in the MAP sensor? How did you clean it out?
When my MAP sensor was bad I experienced a weird idle. The car would run fine but randomly go lean and even shut off. Even if I gave it some gas as the car started leaning and shutting off it would not matter, it just would die. This sometimes happened when I was just driving ( it would lean out fully and recover or die) or when I would get to a stop sign and take off. Taking off sometimes resulted in the car leaning out and dying.
Just get a hold of Omnipower.
One of the employees mentioned that Evos sometimes have issues with the sensor getting clogged up and destroyed due to not running a good catchcan setup.
If your sensor got filled with oil you might as well send it back to Omnipower and see what they can do for you. They were very helpful with me and had great customer service!
Old May 5, 2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by IzzyRS
So you had oil in the MAP sensor? How did you clean it out?
When my MAP sensor was bad I experienced a weird idle. The car would run fine but randomly go lean and even shut off. Even if I gave it some gas as the car started leaning and shutting off it would not matter, it just would die. This sometimes happened when I was just driving ( it would lean out fully and recover or die) or when I would get to a stop sign and take off. Taking off sometimes resulted in the car leaning out and dying.
Just get a hold of Omnipower.
One of the employees mentioned that Evos sometimes have issues with the sensor getting clogged up and destroyed due to not running a good catchcan setup.
If your sensor got filled with oil you might as well send it back to Omnipower and see what they can do for you. They were very helpful with me and had great customer service!

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think it had to do with the fuel... But like I said we bumped it one day and had that super rough idle like 300 rpms or so... We cleaned it with brake clean I think? That might have screwed it up more? But I was experiencing the same thing with the wideband jumping everywhere and at a cruise going lean... I have no CEL for it but when we took the map out it had a lot of oil in it... Car has a new catch can on it but probably accumulated before it was put on I'm thinking... Also drained the catch can and seemed to be nothing but fuel! Thought that was kinda weird... But I'm gonna start with a new map sensor hopefully that fixes the problem. I appreciate the reply... I'll keep u posted and the outcome of a new map when I get her in!
Old May 6, 2015, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the guys who tinted your car took it out for a drive and filled up with regular pump gas!?
Old May 6, 2015, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

I also bumped mine and it had a rough idle and seemed to be misfiring. My issues seemed like I had a bad fuel pump or connection, but it turned out to be the MAP sensor.
Make sure the connection is good and see if a new sensor solves it. You should also try to figure out why the sensor had oil in it, and why you have fuel in your catchcan. How is that catchcan routed?
Old May 22, 2015, 08:04 PM

Little late on the update BUT the map sensor was the culprit! So yes you were right... I slapped it in and fired right up!

Thanks guys
Old May 22, 2015, 08:05 PM

And I think the oil had accumulated through time as I have a ams f1 intake manifold and the map sensor sits on the bottom side of it. Kinda dumb but owell hopefully it lasts for a while
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Feb 26, 2017)
Old May 22, 2015, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, glad it was a simple fix!