Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

8 vs 9 help

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Zach S
But I mean has the ACD any rel benefit for traction at higher power levels, and I would get an rs but I'm lazy, that and the lady probably would like the creature comforts almost as much as me haha
ACD does not help traction when you're driving in a straight line. The transfer case is set up at a 50/50 spilt, it doesn't change.
Old May 7, 2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do gsr and Mr have same bolt pattern, because I'd rather have the 5spd, which I why I've been trying to stay away from an Mr. I didn't know about ACD breaking though, would the benefit of one outweigh the possible issues?
Old May 7, 2015, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Do gsr and Mr have same bolt pattern, because I'd rather have the 5spd, which I why I've been trying to stay away from an Mr. I didn't know about ACD breaking though, would the benefit of one outweigh the possible issues?
Wheel Stud bolt pattern? Yes they're the same. You probably won't even drive the car to the limits required to notice the difference between an ACD equipped car and a non ACD equipped car.
Old May 7, 2015, 09:29 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
You seem stuck on the ACD issue. It's really no big deal. I'd prefer a mechanical LSD, but that's just me.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:43 PM

I meant tranny bell housing, and Im stuck on the ACD because I've heard it allows much more slip but in corners that he car can compensate for, I want to learn how to control it in the corners but think that the ACD would help for when I do make a mistake
Old May 8, 2015, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Aren't you an 18 year old having issues with insurance payment for a Ralliart? Insurance will kick you butt in an Evo. :}
Old May 8, 2015, 09:13 AM
kaj

I meant tranny bell housing, and Im stuck on the ACD because I've heard it allows much more slip but in corners that he car can compensate for, I want to learn how to control it in the corners but think that the ACD would help for when I do make a mistake
yes, both trans bolt up the same.

all ACD does is adjust the time the diff locks and it's milliseconds at that. i've used all modes and can't tell a difference. i haven't driven on snow, so maybe it would make a difference then.
Old May 8, 2015, 09:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,562 Likes on 1,340 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
yes, both trans bolt up the same.

all ACD does is adjust the time the diff locks and it's milliseconds at that. i've used all modes and can't tell a difference. i haven't driven on snow, so maybe it would make a difference then.

Using gravel when its raining makes a big difference if you want to go honing around. Won't notice if you're just cruising. It makes the system more proactive to front wheel spin, and applies the clutches sooner, so you get less understeer. But is also uses less clamping force, so it doesn't work in the dry.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:55 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Using gravel when its raining makes a big difference if you want to go honing around. Won't notice if you're just cruising. It makes the system more proactive to front wheel spin, and applies the clutches sooner, so you get less understeer. But is also uses less clamping force, so it doesn't work in the dry.
we just had a bunch or rain. and i do like me some Hooning....
Old May 8, 2015, 04:46 PM

EvOikon, I figured that getting an older evo would negate part of my insurance jump, but I also just got a new job so I can cover at least a slight raise to insurance, just not a jump if I got into an accident, my good grades discount from school still applies luckily.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:49 PM
kaj

EvOikon, I figured that getting an older evo would negate part of my insurance jump, but I also just got a new job so I can cover at least a slight raise to insurance, just not a jump if I got into an accident, my good grades discount from school still applies luckily.
FWIW, i am 41, no accidents, no tickets in the past 12-14yrs and i'm paying $120/mo for full coverage. it's not uncommon for people to pay $200/mo, though.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:53 PM

Maybe I'll call my insurance company then, I pay yearly so I get some discount, but no point in buying if its unaffordable, tanks the the heads up
Old May 9, 2015, 01:34 PM

I've own a 2003 Evo and now a 2006 mr SE. Both cars are great to own. When I had my 03 I did every bolt on I could I afford from swaping my interior with a Evo 9 interior, swaping a 9 turbo, added Kelford cams 1200 rc injectors , springs, and TBE and etc. I loved the car and last thing I wanted to do was add a lsd to replace the open front but unfortunately a lady hit me and totaled her. When I got the 9 I notice it was a lot smoother and the 6 speed was a lot nicer to drive. I do agree with people saying if your pushing a lot of power stick to the 5speed. Overall I have similar mods on my 9 that i had on my 8. I would say if you want raw go with a viii, if you want a bit more refined go ix. I do miss my 8 a lot especially hearing how the car sounded with those Kelford cams. I know I can tweek the mivec to lope a bit more on my 9 but maybe down the line I'll do that. But if I had to choose all over again I would start with a 9. Also the parts are a bit more cheaper for a 8 if your on a budget. And Acd is always a nice thing if you do a lot of gravel driving or snow. I would do what others have suggested. Drive both and see what you like the best.
Old May 13, 2015, 08:35 PM

Decided I'm going to go with an 8, insurance quoted for a 9 at 170, but I'd like more money left over, now the waiting begins.