Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost leak? Need help!

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 12:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost leak? Need help!

So I just bought an evo IX and I've never had any evos beforehand. The car has an FP green turbo on it, few other modifications, and a basically brand new clutch so the issue in having couldn't possibly be the clutch which is why I'm thinking its a boost leak. When I go to give the car some throttle, the rpms go up almost as if the clutch is slipping, but there is no way it could be the clutch seeing as it has ~10k miles on it. So is there any solution to this problemo!? It's really annoying because i want to feel the power of this beast and I can't with the problem that I currently have
Old May 12, 2015, 05:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
It can be the clutch slipping. I would check to see if it has a clutch fork stop on it that is not allowing your fork full travel.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How could you be so sure it only had 10K miles on the clutch if you only just bough it?
Old May 12, 2015, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
doesn't sound like a boost leak, that just takes away power. Do you have a boost gauge? You can see if you are hitting target boost, if you know what the target boost is of course.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if u gas and rpm goes up and ur not moving more than likely its the clutch slipping.
10k is no where near new. some clutches dont even last that long before it starts to slip.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:24 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
How could you be so sure it only had 10K miles on the clutch if you only just bough it?
Guy had paperwork for everything on the car. Clutch was installed at around 40k and the car has 53k on it now so that's how I know it's decently new.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
doesn't sound like a boost leak, that just takes away power. Do you have a boost gauge? You can see if you are hitting target boost, if you know what the target boost is of course.
Yes I have a boost gauge. It says i should be hitting 24 lbs of boost so I'll give it a go in a few minutes and see what I hit
Old May 12, 2015, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I have seen clutch worn down with less miles in use.
Old May 12, 2015, 08:51 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Yeah I have seen clutch worn down with less miles in use.
Damn...well I guess I'll look into a different clutch soon then is what it seems any other thoughts on what it could be before I order one?
Old May 12, 2015, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by michaelanjolo
Damn...well I guess I'll look into a different clutch soon then is what it seems any other thoughts on what it could be before I order one?
Here is a simple test to confirm your clutch wear. Get up to speed on 5th gear at about 3000 RPM. Then go WOT. If the RPM gauge is raising faster than your speedometer respectively then your clutch is toast.
Buy a new clutch base on your current TQ level.
Old May 12, 2015, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelanjolo
Check to see if the previous owner installed a clutch fork stop on the car. If he did and it hasn't been adjusted it can be stopping the clutch from full engagement.
Old May 12, 2015, 11:45 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by terror rising
Check to see if the previous owner installed a clutch fork stop on the car. If he did and it hasn't been adjusted it can be stopping the clutch from full engagement.
Well according to the paperwork, it does in fact appear that the previous owner of the vehicle installed a clutch fork. I'll have to see if I am able to adjust the fork...hopefully because I really don't feel like purchasing a new clutch already
Old May 12, 2015, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
Good call!