Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

low mileage Evo

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low mileage Evo

Well after a long while Of searching for the right Evo I finally made a purchase and couldn't be more happy. It only has a little under 12,000 miles and is a 05 red MR. (About a year and a half of searching and saving) My only problem is I'm torn between modding it (around 350-400hp) or keeping it stock and keeping its value/rarity with such low mileage and condition it's in. I don't daily it just take it out on most weekends and to car meets and such. So I don't plan on putting a ton of miles on it every year. If I do mod it I only live 50 minutes from buschur racing and would have him do all the work on my car. So I'm here to ask you guys what would be the best for this situation. Keep it stock or mod it a little?
Old May 13, 2015, 08:18 PM

Congratulations. I bought my 03 Apex Silver Evo with 12,050 miles on it almost a year ago. I had been doing mostly exterior mods promising myself I would keep the engine stock. Haha well promises get broken. I am now collecting parts so that I can get a tune.

Hardest part of it all is watching the miles go up as I daily drive it.
Old May 13, 2015, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Go ahead and mod it. Just be sure to keep your stock parts so you can return it to stock.
Old May 14, 2015, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B Roharik
Well after a long while Of searching for the right Evo I finally made a purchase and couldn't be more happy. It only has a little under 12,000 miles and is a 05 red MR. (About a year and a half of searching and saving) My only problem is I'm torn between modding it (around 350-400hp) or keeping it stock and keeping its value/rarity with such low mileage and condition it's in. I don't daily it just take it out on most weekends and to car meets and such. So I don't plan on putting a ton of miles on it every year. If I do mod it I only live 50 minutes from buschur racing and would have him do all the work on my car. So I'm here to ask you guys what would be the best for this situation. Keep it stock or mod it a little?
Mod it but don't go overboard & keep stock parts
First go restack your rear differential first since USDM get wrongly configured rear differential plate
Old May 14, 2015, 08:34 AM

Thank you guys, it definitely helps getting some input. It's looking like a little bit of modding and a good tune will be done in the future.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Pics!

Do what you want with it.
I know what you mean about not wanting to mod though. I've had cars with low mileage that I was tempted to keep stock.
But its your car. Don't worry about keeping it nice for the next person.
Old May 14, 2015, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my 03 with 15k on it 4 years ago it now has 21k I did minimal mods and I'm going to make it full bolt on with a 9 turbo. Enjoy it
Old May 14, 2015, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
You could just keep it stock with the exception of a tune. That way you can gain 30whp and slightly improve gas mileage. That would be a good compromise imo. Of course thats what I tried to do with my last evo but then quickly got the mod bug. Second time around I bought one with bolt ons. Still want more power.....

In addition to the tune, I would also suggest an amsoil cone filter. It may not give you much hp, but its cheap and the spool noise is great!
Old May 14, 2015, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Depends what you want to do, DD it or track it. If you want to mod it and DD it all the time, to me its a bit of waste as every time you hit it your going to be looking around for the patrol car on your butt...

For me, its a weekend car only, so I have a tune and pipe and thats it and thats how i bought it, turn key, go for a run, do a track day, check the air in the tyres and park it back in the garage. Do I need to go faster on the track and run more bolt ons and e85? well do I have the time to do all the tinkering, not really right now so it sits like it is.

Also have a look at the track build sticky I found it the other day and theres lots of greats mods on that and a review of each car, goods and bads, there was one same point that came up, as you build the car becomes more expensive to maintain and can quickly become a money pit....

good luck
Old May 14, 2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by cool_as_crap
Pics!

Do what you want with it.
I know what you mean about not wanting to mod though. I've had cars with low mileage that I was tempted to keep stock.
But its your car. Don't worry about keeping it nice for the next person.
heres some pics of it for you!

Old May 14, 2015, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

amazing,that should be in a museum

If I had that I would put a front end track pack vinyl wrap on it before you get any stone chips
Old May 14, 2015, 08:44 PM

nice i never liked the red evos until i got to really looking at them. i had a tarmac black one in 05 and now i have a 03 red. such a beauty!
Old May 14, 2015, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1fstevo2
nice i never liked the red evos until i got to really looking at them. i had a tarmac black one in 05 and now i have a 03 red. such a beauty!
Yes it is, red was one of my favorite colors and in person I think it looks even better.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:56 PM

And thanks everyone for all of the input. It's definitely helped me out!!
Old May 14, 2015, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

that number plate? are you pretending to be a suby?

Quick Reply: low mileage Evo