Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Leaking radiator, whos at fault?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking radiator, whos at fault?

My radiator started leaking a year after it was installed by a shop. Keep in mind I put about 5000 miles on my car before the radiator failed. It appears the fan's vibrations wore 4-5 holes into the radiator rows. The radiator was a used mishimoto that the shop had on hand. I'm upset because I had no choice but to pay $186.00 for 2 hours of labor to install the radiator and $170 for the radiator itself.

Has anyone ever have a radiator fail due to the electic fan? Is there supposed to be a gasket between the fan and the radiator? Do nylon strips tend to loosen up overtime?

The radiator is currently at mishimoto to see if they will warranty or not. It looks like an installation error so I'm not too hopeful that my radiator will get warrantied.

Leaking radiator, whos at fault?-d3uyih3.jpg
Leaking radiator, whos at fault?-8mks96b.jpg
Leaking radiator, whos at fault?-27oxv19.jpg
Leaking radiator, whos at fault?-p2ymdqy.jpg
Old May 14, 2015, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bro--don't look for fault it just is...Mishimoto makes radiators and with out the fan attached to it the radiator would have been fine--so expect them to laugh--count your blessings if they warrantee it. The fan cause the rub and caused the leak--so whom ever put that on made the mistake--installation error. Its an aftermarket fan as well---so there you have it. Looks to have been installed correctly just someone wasn't paying attention. fan could have a bad bearing causing rocking of the blades and the vibration---but all that's secondary--- a new mishimoto rad is about 240 delivered...a good fan 100-150 by itself. Did you get a good deal upfront yes, bad luck it wasn't a lifetime fix. try again.
Old May 14, 2015, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

The reason why I'm wondering who is at fault because I didn't install the fan on the radiator. I don't think its a manufacture defect or their fault. I talked to the shop and they offered to send it in to see if it'll get warranted but If it gets declined because of a bad installation, then I'm going to be pissed off if the shop doesn't help with some of the cost for a replacement.
Old May 14, 2015, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
It's life, my Mishimoto cracked out of the blue in three spots this past year. OEM fan and all; if it's not one thing, it's another. Sometimes parts fail and it is time to try another brand.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a year and 5000 miles, it would be stupid to go after the shop for an installation error. If I were in your shoes, I'd be thanking the shop for taking the time to ship a used part off that they sold over a year ago, most wouldn't do it.

That universal fan looks to be installed correctly (as per the fan manufacture), but is just about the worst way to install a fan. Buy a fan that bolts to the factory fan mounts, or have someone fab up a simple bracket that will attach a universal fan to those same mounts.
Old May 15, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow. I have a slim fan and it is installed to stock radiator just like that. It's still there for maybe 5 years now. Your stuff has to vibrate like crazy to have plastics cutting into aluminum like that.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That universal fan looks to be installed correctly (as per the fan manufacture), but is just about the worst way to install a fan. Buy a fan that bolts to the factory fan mounts, or have someone fab up a simple bracket that will attach a universal fan to those same mounts.[/QUOTE]

This^^^ I have a mishimoto rad and have had it for 5 or so years, not a prob 1. Also did a slim fan and mounted it to the stock shroud--it ( the shroud) needed to be modified but I never liked the plastic tab mounts-- guessing I was rt. The shop could have easily added some washers to space that fan 1/4' or so off the radiator-- just my .02 but then again, there is just doing it and then doing it rt.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be more upset at being charged 2 hours labor for a radiator job. It takes about 30 min to R&R a radiator on an Evo. Also $170 for a used one is on the high side. Shops cost on a new one is around $220 IIRC
Old May 18, 2015, 06:20 AM

Purchasing and installing used parts always comes with a risk. Looks like you are missing the anti vibration springs. They should be located on the engine side of the radiator, between the fan and the locking tab/pin.
Old May 18, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
1. $90 / hr shop time is normal, nothing wrong with that price

2. don't buy used radiators unless you know 100% they're fine
Old May 18, 2015, 12:49 PM

Lol you paid $180 for a 2hr job that could be done in 20mins
Old May 19, 2015, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I'll be thoroughly impressed if you can swap a radiator and bleed the whole system in 20 minutes.

Also, shops charge book time
Old May 19, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ROKI187
Purchasing and installing used parts always comes with a risk. Looks like you are missing the anti vibration springs. They should be located on the engine side of the radiator, between the fan and the locking tab/pin.

Word. And if they installed without the springs, that could be something to talk to them about. I'm not really a fan of this style of mounting regardless, seems sketchy for a number of reasons, and for temporary use only. Those plastic zip ties can only see so many heat cycles before they get really brittle.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
I'll be thoroughly impressed if you can swap a radiator and bleed the whole system in 20 minutes.

Also, shops charge book time
20 min would be tough, unless you did not care to make a huge coolant mess. Just pop off the lower one and let it pour out everywhere. And you could skip the bleeding part if you vacuum filled it. But 30 to 45 minutes is very reasonable
Old May 20, 2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by roach85
20 min would be tough, unless you did not care to make a huge coolant mess. Just pop off the lower one and let it pour out everywhere. And you could skip the bleeding part if you vacuum filled it. But 30 to 45 minutes is very reasonable
Sorry I was just over exaggerating the point of paying $180. 30 to 45mins would be reasonable of course

Quick Reply: Leaking radiator, whos at fault?