Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

aftermarket sub with factory head-unit possible?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket sub with factory head-unit possible?

So I have an aftermarket sub (can't think of brand) laying around from my buddy's evo for some time now. He had an aftermarket head-unit in his evo when he used the sub. I'm trying to see if its possible for me to keep my factory head unit and used the sub since I like to keep my interior close to original. Since the SSL's make use of a sub with the factory head unit, hopefully its possible, if anyone has attempted this.

I'll have to double check the brand of the sub when I get home but its not the SSL sub for sure.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old May 15, 2015, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you need is a L.O.C (Line Output Converter). Basically converts your factory speaker wires into RCA outputs.

OR, some amps have speaker level inputs.. so no need for a LOC at all.

All in all, you can definitely run a sub without the need for an aftermarket headunit.
Old May 31, 2015, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by arverson
What you need is a L.O.C (Line Output Converter). Basically converts your factory speaker wires into RCA outputs.

OR, some amps have speaker level inputs.. so no need for a LOC at all.

All in all, you can definitely run a sub without the need for an aftermarket headunit.

Thanks. Well see how this goes
Old May 31, 2015, 10:28 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea, as mentioned, a low impedance to high impedance converter will do it, although I've never been a fan of those due to quality loss.. You'll need a stereo one if you go that route, then a mono amplifier with low pass filter built-in (and an RCA Y-adaptor). Hook it up to the left/right front channels.

Or even better get a new headunit with pre-outs and built in electronic crossover so you can tune it easier

Thanks!

S.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:33 AM

Why would you want to keep the factory head unit? Not like aftermarket is expensive anymore. Unless your in a high crime area and want a stock look.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rom
Or even better get a new headunit with pre-outs and built in electronic crossover so you can tune it easier
Crossover/tuning capabilities have nothing to do with what the OP wants to do. Would still need a LOC -or an amp with speaker inputs- in the first place.

Originally Posted by Evogun
Why would you want to keep the factory head unit? Not like aftermarket is expensive anymore. Unless your in a high crime area and want a stock look.
ONE reason is because more & more cars these days have integrated head units into the interior dash. Or, have a function they don't wish to lose, for example navigation, other car controls. In those instances, a L.O.C or an amp with speaker inputs is their solution if they wish to add an aftermarket sound system.

ChicagoEvo9, what are you planning to add? how many amps? just make sure you get a LOC that accommodates your system. Some notable LOC's you can research are from brands like Stinger, David Navone, Aerpro, among others. Those brands all have multiple output LOCS (or at least last time I checked!).

Of course if you get an amp with speaker level inputs, then forget all that.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:00 AM

ONE reason is because more & more cars these days have integrated head units into the interior dash. Or, have a function they don't wish to lose, for example navigation, other car controls. In those instances, a L.O.C or an amp with speaker inputs is their solution if they wish to add an aftermarket sound system.

WELL, you can get an interface for steering wheel controls etc. Also dash kits so your head unit is integrated into you dash as you say. So this is not a valid reason. In fact you can gain some great features not offered by some factory systems with aftermarket units.

YOU could let the OP explain why instead of assuming? Like I did, when you thought you would answer for the OP, even know the question was directed towards the OP.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:38 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Crossover/tuning capabilities have nothing to do with what the OP wants to do. Would still need a LOC -or an amp with speaker inputs- in the first place.

ChicagoEvo9, what are you planning to add? how many amps? just make sure you get a LOC that accommodates your system. Some notable LOC's you can research are from brands like Stinger, David Navone, Aerpro, among others. Those brands all have multiple output LOCS (or at least last time I checked!).

Of course if you get an amp with speaker level inputs, then forget all that.
Uh..... Firstly, running a sub without low pass filter is not something anyone wants to do - no matter what. Running full range to your subwoofer is a great way for it to sound terrible or possibly even damage it. Saying that crossover frequencies are irrelevant is pretty bad advice for a speaker that has a limited frequency response (like a subwoofer).

If the amplifier has a built-in low pass filter, that will work, but the cross over frequencies are typically preset with just a couple of frequencies to choose from (80Hz and 120Hz or something). With an aftermarket head unit with better low frequency tuning (which even the cheapest units have nowadays) you could tune it specifically for the capabilities of the subwoofer driver and enclosure (which is typically tuned for a specific resonant frequency). Once the subwoofer is placed inside the car (e.g. the trunk) the frequency response changes again (since it's now inside another "enclosure" with its own resonance), so having a way to at least shift the crossover points even minimally can help avoid "boominess" or unnatural resonances. Of course I prefer being able to alter the slope as well, but for a simple setup, a cheap aftermarket headunit will usually have some level of crossover manipulation.

As for the look, the Evo headunit is almost an afterthought in an VIII or IX. It certainly is not a "custom fitted" unit (and doesn't have steering wheel controls) so an aftermarket unit should fit in fine.

Thanks,

S.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:41 PM

All that was unnecessary, because pretty much all amps have crossovers. If the OP wants further fine tuning capabilities, like time alignment/delay or more extensive crossover refinement, then yes a head unit -or processor- is what id recommend.

For now, the OP just wanted to know if he can add an aftermarket sound system while keeping his stock head unit.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Evogun
WELL, you can get an interface for steering wheel controls etc. Also dash kits so your head unit is integrated into you dash as you say. So this is not a valid reason. In fact you can gain some great features not offered by some factory systems with aftermarket units.

YOU could let the OP explain why instead of assuming? Like I did, when you thought you would answer for the OP, even know the question was directed towards the OP.
If the OP wishes to spend more on a dash kit, steering wheel interface & head unit, then im all for it. Personally i'd go that route too, but its up to the OP, their money after-all.

I didnt assume, the OP mentions several times he wishes to keep to keep the factory head unit.......... im only givin advice based off info they've given......... OP, correct me if im wrong. Did you want to keep your factory head unit with a stock interior look? or are you open to getting a head unit?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 07:04 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

All that was unnecessary, because pretty much all amps have crossovers. If the OP wants further fine tuning capabilities, like time alignment/delay or more extensive crossover refinement, then yes a head unit -or processor- is what id recommend.

For now, the OP just wanted to know if he can add an aftermarket sound system while keeping his stock head unit.
But you can't just assume that (a) the amplifier has a crossover, and (b) he knows what it is. I was providing extra detail by mentioning specifically the need for a low pass filter. The OP thought the headunit would just work with a sub - but it doesn't filter out high frequencies at all (since you're just pulling from the low impedance full range outputs).

The whole headunit discussion was just saying "it would be better" - we're not forcing him, just telling him a new headunit (with pre-outs) would be better than using the basic OEM unit. Just the fact that you can change the volume of the sub independently on a new headunit is really convenient (then you don't need to have a separate volume adjuster or keep trying to find the gain screw adjuster!).

Anyway, I think between us all we've covered what he needs..

Thanks,

S.