Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much to fix up before selling?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much to fix up before selling?

I am getting ready to sell the Evo IX in my sig. Cosmetically it is in need of some love: it has several dings and scratches, and the airdam was partially ripped off going over a dip recently and is currently held in place with industrial strength zip ties. I don't have a lot of time to do work myself, but I am willing to take a reduced price to move it. Mechanically it is in tip top shape. No issues, regularly checked for boost leaks, and has all the mods listed in my sig (EDIT: and then some including an ACT SS clutch with 25k miles on it). It has quite low mileage for its age (57k).

Anyone who has a better feel for the Evo market than me have any idea how much it's worth it to invest in fixing it up? Putting it in near-mint condition would be several thousand I imagine and include a completely new paint job. Do people tend to buy "fixer uppers" that still drive great?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Joehunk; May 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old May 17, 2015, 01:10 PM

Not sure you would get any more $$$ from a buyer if it was resprayed. It seems it may raise suspicion from the buyer and may have them question if it was in a collision or if it was damaged.

It seems that a buyer looking for a low mileage 9 would be the kind to care more about details like that. Not taking away from the guys who are looking at 8s, but when I was looking for an Evo I found a ton of 8s and only a few 9s, the 8s were lower priced and had a ton of kids ready to throw money at the seller to get into an Evo for cheap, regardless of miles/mods/conditions.

The 9 that I bought was in ok shape cosmetically... it had rock chips and quite a few scratches, but I preferred that over a shiny new paint job that may have been used to hide repair work. What sold me on the car was that it showed no signs of being built and put back to stock. You and I have a similar mod list, basically a tune with the supporting mods. IMO, that will be a bigger selling strength than having it look new.
Old May 19, 2015, 06:32 AM

if you don mind taking a small hit on price, a slightly damaged car is going to sell faster due to the lower price and since most buyers want to customize the car to their liking and not the previous owner's liking.