Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flywheel warped or master cylinder???

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheel warped or master cylinder???

Hey guys, first post here on the forum normally I read over other threads but i simply cannot find anyone who has had this same issue.

First off, the tranny is freshly rebuilt from Shep Trans, with less than 5k on the trannny. The previous clutch in the original trans was put back in which is a Competition Stage 2 and has about 25k miles on it.

The car drove fantastic up until the point at which I let my mother drive it, (I know I know...not very smart but shes super responsible lol) and actually it wasn't her fault, I was the dummy. She leaves it in the driveway, and as anyone would, she leaves it in gear. Now, I have remote start and normally in the winter months ill leave the car in neutral so I can warm it up with remote start. Just like any other time I hit the remote start to drive it and thank god the garage door was open or it would've walked right through the garage door.
Long story short; the car got remote started while in first gear without pressing the clutch in. THIS was the starting issue of my transmission lockout.

Randomly, about 80% of the time, from a dead stop (especially on start up) the car locks out of EVERY gear (5-speed). If you fiddle with it and try to put it in gear from either first to reverse it will actually move the car a couple inches forwards or backwards. I've found that if you pump the clutch 5-ish times or more you can finally get in gear but it is still not buttery smooth into second or third afterwards and it kills me to feel that after having a buttery smooth fresh transmission.

I adjusted the clutch already so that it works perfectly with the slave cylinder. The only thing I can think of now is that because it has to be pumped that it could be the master cylinder or something in my clutch or flywheel has warped due to the stress of the remote start-up.

If anyone has any ideas at all PLEASE chime in!! Anything at all!!
Old May 25, 2015, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issue with my 5 speed now that I have a clutch master FX400 8 puk ceramic heavy duty clutch. I have bled the clutch, adjusted the cylinders, even pounded on the clutch pedal to try and get it into gear and sometimes it just doesn't want to go, and also moves the car a bit too. I have a D1 chromoly flywheel now, and didn't have that problem with the standard flywheel and the heavy duty organic disc so I don't really know what to do either

I got given a tip from my friend though. If the car won't go into reverse (which mine often doesn't) go into 4th first and then select the gear. Seems to work almost every time. Obviously our clutches aren't fully disengaging, so my only other thought would be to get a bigger master cylinder to actuate the slave more?
Old May 25, 2015, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Whatever is wrong I don't see the remote start causing it.
Old May 25, 2015, 04:05 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
remote start shouldn't have done anything, that's happened to a friend of mine before with no issues. did the car hit anything and get stopped?

with all four wheels off the ground, the car in gear, engine running, and clutch in, do the wheels still spin?
once in gear, with the clutch in, car running, does it come out of gear smoothly, or are you having to pull it out of gear?
Old May 26, 2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
remote start shouldn't have done anything, that's happened to a friend of mine before with no issues. did the car hit anything and get stopped?

with all four wheels off the ground, the car in gear, engine running, and clutch in, do the wheels still spin?
once in gear, with the clutch in, car running, does it come out of gear smoothly, or are you having to pull it out of gear?
I knew that the remote start was not the issue but that was the point at which my transmission started to act up. I still would like to do this test the next time I get to my shop, I also wanted to turn off my launch map so I could test for clutch drag. Im to the point where Im thinking its probably the TOB or clutch not installed correctly and now it wont fully engage. I'll keep this updated when I test for drag.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did this same thing "allofasudden" also. Two years after installing an ACT clutch and HDPP. Worked ok until a hard pull one afternoon, and then gears started to be locked out. Fourth mostly, but scond was grinding and first was locking out at stoplights from time to time. I did a clutch adjustment and it was all fixed. Soemthing must have re-aligned itself on the pull, but the adjustment with more pedal travel worked.
Old May 30, 2015, 05:59 AM

I adjusted the clutch and it did nothing at all. For some reason my clutch isn't engaging fully, my only guess now is TOB or clutch itself.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It sounds more like not fully disengaging. So anything associated with clutch disengagement could be a fault, clutch adjustment, hydraulics, pressure plate or disc.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
agreed. unable to get into gear = not disengaging.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:57 AM

Have someone look at the Slave while you press the clutch look at the travel of the slave. If your not getting enough travel you will have shifting problems. Try bleeding the slave see if there is air in the system. That might lead you to a bad Master maybe you blew out a o-ring etc. No leaks in the line from the master to slave?
Old May 31, 2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
agreed. unable to get into gear = not disengaging.
I agree!! I'm thinking now it's a warped flywheel or pressure plate issue. So I played around with the clutch adjustment more yesterday and I found that when I adjust it for a shorter throw which I know is incorrect I just did it for sh*ts and giggles, the throttle hangs really bad inbetween gears. When I adjust it out like it should be for more travel in the slave, the throttle doesn't hang. This makes me believe the flywheel is sticking or warped. Any ideas?
Old May 31, 2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Evogun
Have someone look at the Slave while you press the clutch look at the travel of the slave. If your not getting enough travel you will have shifting problems. Try bleeding the slave see if there is air in the system. That might lead you to a bad Master maybe you blew out a o-ring etc. No leaks in the line from the master to slave?
No leaks at all, I have adjusted the clutch many times and now it's just fully adjusted for max slave cylinder travel
Old May 31, 2015, 12:57 PM

You can adjust it all day, if the master is leaking back into it self you will never know. You need someone to measure the travel of the slave...
Old May 31, 2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Evogun
You can adjust it all day, if the master is leaking back into it self you will never know. You need someone to measure the travel of the slave...
Do you happen to know what normal travel would be then? Might try this!! thanks!
Old May 31, 2015, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by blasonde19
Do you happen to know what normal travel would be then? Might try this!! thanks!
No, not at hand the FSM will list the correct travel. You didn't list your car and year to check.

Quick Reply: Flywheel warped or master cylinder???