Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whining noise at 40 mph evo

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015 | 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
humming noise at 40 mph evo

Hi, i cant seem to identify the problem on my evo. I have a video on the bottom.. It is a whining noise at around 40mph but goes away if ur going 45mph and up... I would cruise at 40mph and accelerate and decelerate and i can hear it whining... I replaced both front wheel bearings with oem, i just changed all the fluids- trans-tcase- rear diff. The rear wheel bearings i havent changed out yet. I have searched and cant seem to find the problem. I have searched t case whine but it sounds nothing like that.

My thoughts- Rear wheel bearings, t case? I had notice that my rear axle seal is barely leaking in the rear. Any input is helpful!

http://vid132.photobucket.com/albums...pso8chflt4.mp4

Last edited by GHEvo8; May 25, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old May 25, 2015 | 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

247 views... not 1 comment....
Old May 25, 2015 | 02:42 PM

I didn't really hear any whining noise, maybe some clunky rattling...
Old May 26, 2015 | 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Update- not coming from the t case. Most likely coming from the rear. Either wheel bearings or rear diff
Old Jun 6, 2015 | 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Update. Changed both rear wheel bearings and changed t case fluid back to oem fluid from redline heavy shockproof... My only guess is t case
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Update. Got it semi inspected. Found out it's not the t case.. Might be driveshaft or rear diff, gonna have it checked out on Monday on the lift
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 09:59 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
did you install rear diff bushings?
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
did you install rear diff bushings?
ive had the ams mustache delete and ams rear diff solid bushings
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 04:54 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by GHEvo8
ive had the ams mustache delete and ams rear diff solid bushings
just wondering. mine started whining the day i installed poly bushings. i found a lot of threads with people having the same issue.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 9, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
just wondering. mine started whining the day in installed poly bushings. i found a lot of threads with people having the same issue.
you might be right... i had the car for about a year and noticed it and i thought it was my wheel bearings... well all 4 wheel bearings were shot.. fixed them and still had a whine and i am finally started to get annoyed so i went in full inspection with it and now that you said that... i have been researching and it seems that my rear poly bushings and ams mustache bar might be my problem and what im hearing.. it exactly sounds like this

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...eo-inside.html
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone know what kind of rear diff bushings i can get without making any whining noise or do i have to go back to stock?
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
does anyone know what kind of rear diff bushings i can get without making any whining noise or do i have to go back to stock?

I've had my evo for about 8 Months and have heard all sorts of groans, clunks, whirl noises coming from under it and as a new buyer I have always felt i need to find out exactly what it is and fix it but ... it was only the other day when I got underneath it to do an oil change is when i noticed how many linkages and moving parts that is packed under there, so when you start to hear a noise do you strip everything down and replace lots of parts or do you just let it play out and see what happens or if it gets worse and then you can alot easier identify the part thats going south. The later is what I have decided to do. In the mean time just enjoy the thing.
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 06:59 PM
kaj

My mustang made the same noise after swapping my ring and pinion. Never had an issue. You'll get used to it. I have no interior. You should hear mine LOL
I am going to more or less assume my rear end always made noise but Was always dampened by the rubber bushings. I highly doubt swapping bushings would do anything To change the lash in the differential. I could be wrong though, just making an educated guess.
I would check for metal shavings on the drain plug. Just in case.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 9, 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
My mustang made the same noise after swapping my ring and pinion. Never had an issue. You'll get used to it. I have no interior. You should hear mine LOL
I am going to more or less assume my rear end always made noise but Was always dampened by the rubber bushings. I highly doubt swapping bushings would do anything To change the lash in the differential. I could be wrong though, just making an educated guess.
I would check for metal shavings on the drain plug. Just in case.
i just changed the rear diff and t case fluid and no metal shavings and also had the car inspected for my t case and it wasnt it... The guy said it was normal and that he heard way worse noises in evos than mine and that i shouldnt worry about it but figured its my rear diff bushings and ams mustache bar delete
Old Jun 9, 2015 | 10:16 PM
kaj

i just changed the rear diff and t case fluid and no metal shavings and also had the car inspected for my t case and it wasnt it... The guy said it was normal and that he heard way worse noises in evos than mine and that i shouldnt worry about it but figured its my rear diff bushings and ams mustache bar delete
No metal = drive it like you stole it.

Quick Reply: whining noise at 40 mph evo