Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does this SEEM like a good Evo IX, $15500

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does this SEEM like a good Evo IX, $15500

Hey Guys!

After I sold my IX MR about a year ago, I have been going though withdrawals. I found a car somewhat near me (a short flight away) that seems to be a good deal. First off, I have not seen the car in person yet. I called the guy and talked to both him and his wife about the car for around 45 min, and had them tell me about the car and why they are selling. If I do end up flying out to see the car, I will be buying ROUND TRIP tickers just in case, so no worries there. Here are the details:

2006 Black IX MR
84k miles
Clean Title
All stock besides an e85 tune with different injectors, "from an E85 kit"
Pretty clean besides some rock chips and a small paint blemish on the rear quarter driver's side quarter panel (pics below). He stated that the previous owner had somebody do some body work and the paint is starting to crack.
Ran a vehicle history report and it came back clean
He was originally asking ~$19k, but he needs to rid himself of car payments so he would take $15.5k

PAINT IMPERFECTION (as stated above)

Here are the pictures:

Please let me know what yal think?
Old May 30, 2015, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like a good deal!
Old May 30, 2015, 02:55 PM

Hopefully it is! I talked to the wife again and they both actually seem like very straight forward and VERY nice people. They have a loan on the car, which I will be paying the majority of it off and they will be paying the remaining part. So hopefully this will be my second (of many to come) Evo IX!!!

Side note: I know with transferring titles from state-to-state, some states require more/less paperwork than others. Does anyone know if there is any out-of-the-ordinary paperwork that Arizona requires when transferring titles from one person to the next? Like a notary or a witness of some sort?
Old May 30, 2015, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In arizona you don't even have to go anywhere if they have title in hand you both sign and ur off. But assuming the car is on the loan i would see with his bank or you can go to one of those check cashing places they have transfer titles as well for a small fee. It's going to be much faster than the MVD

Originally Posted by dcdirtrider
Hopefully it is! I talked to the wife again and they both actually seem like very straight forward and VERY nice people. They have a loan on the car, which I will be paying the majority of it off and they will be paying the remaining part. So hopefully this will be my second (of many to come) Evo IX!!!

Side note: I know with transferring titles from state-to-state, some states require more/less paperwork than others. Does anyone know if there is any out-of-the-ordinary paperwork that Arizona requires when transferring titles from one person to the next? Like a notary or a witness of some sort?
Old May 30, 2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by bphx123
In arizona you don't even have to go anywhere if they have title in hand you both sign and ur off. But assuming the car is on the loan i would see with his bank or you can go to one of those check cashing places they have transfer titles as well for a small fee. It's going to be much faster than the MVD
Unfortunately their bank has the title, and the bank is keeping it in a non-retail location. Even if the loan is paid off in cash, the title will be released a few business days later by mail. So once the loan/lien is paid off, the title will be shipped to the borrowing party. We are having a notary sign a bill of sale at the bank for legal recourse, then when borrowers receive the title, they will mail me the signed-over title. Thats how it worked with my last evo purchase. But that was transferring a title between two CO residents.
Old May 31, 2015, 01:17 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They said it's all stock except E85 but that rear wheel looks lowered? My IX MR with stock suspension has much more of a gap - kinda like this one:

http://uxmeet.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Mitsubishi-Lancer-EVO-IX-Special-Image.jpg

Thanks!

S.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 07:55 AM

9 MR SE??? I would take it in a heartbeat! Only real black MR! Sounds like a good deal from what you're saying.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:08 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
that cracking is most likely bondo. paint doesn't usually crack like that.

if you don't mind some semi-major body work on that rear quarter, along with a repaint (they will have to blend the entire side and possibly the rear) then it's a decent deal.

if, like me, you happen to know someone that does body and paint? it's a no-brainer. but i'd try to get him to lower the price a bit more unless he can get a magnet to stick to that spot LOL.

on the bright side, since you will have to paint half the car, may as well shoot the whole thing and clear up all the rock chips
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:09 AM

that rear quarter panel would bug me.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:08 PM

I don't know much about body work, but that doesn't look like paint that's chipping like that... but again, i'm not an expert
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
if, like me, you happen to know someone that does body and paint? it's a no-brainer. but i'd try to get him to lower the price a bit more unless he can get a magnet to stick to that spot LOL.

on the bright side, since you will have to paint half the car, may as well shoot the whole thing and clear up all the rock chips
both of these. bring a magnet; bondo won't stick to a magnet

also, paint the whole car. if you're going to paint half, do it right and paint the whole thing
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
its had an accident and they have bogged it up. At the right price that might not worry someone, you'll need to replace the panel if you want it fixed, look for more structural damage, get a look in the boot and pull the inspection covers off and look inside the panels with a torch, climb under the back bumper and look around with a torch, see if you can jack it and look under the front too, def compression test and leak test it if you can. If oyu want a track car the chips and cracks might not worry you.

Edit: Torch in Australian means flashlight in Amaricaaan

Last edited by Jonno99; Jun 25, 2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:45 PM

... and when he said torch, he meant a light... not a fire thingy, ok?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:12 PM

Id work him down a little.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Have it inspected before you buy it. I agree with what everyone else has said about the paint.

I will add, there is a reason they are unloading it for that low of a price.

just my .02$

Quick Reply: Does this SEEM like a good Evo IX, $15500