Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch Release Shaft Wear :0

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Release Shaft Wear :0

In the middle of a clutch swap on my 03 Evo here and noticed my clutch release shaft is pretty dinged up .. see the pics attached

Wondering if this is typical wear as I was not expecting to replace this part..

Will be ordering a new one but that means car is down for almost 4 days waiting on the part..

By the way any pointers on installing the transmission back without dinging up the new clutch are welcome, I am really not sure how to put this monster back .. It was a struggle to get this thing off.. It some how almost just fell off wiggling it around
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Release Shaft Wear :0-img_4910.jpg   Clutch Release Shaft Wear :0-img_4911.jpg  
Old May 31, 2015, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That shaft must have picked up some debris or the tension spring is damaged. The damage looks like where the greasy felt "gasket" should be.
Putting the trans back is easier if you lift the back up a bit higher than the front of the car. You'll never find my picture on a Wheaties box but I did it enough to be able to "bench press" it into place from the bottom of the car.
Old May 31, 2015, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have throwout arm bushings but realized I needed a press to install them which I didn't have. Anyway, according to Mitsubishi, replacing the bushings is part of a clutch job. Yeah, I know, this is news to everyone and normally not necessary but It appears you need them.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered some felt gaskets along with the shaft, but not planning on replacing the bushings as I dont have a press either and not sure how to press one in there.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new shaft and old bushing interface does not bring in any play ..

Thanks for the pointers fellow members...