Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quite o2 dump

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 01:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quite o2 dump

Evo with muse o2 dump. Was loud before all of a sudden it seems like its closed now.. can't hear it anymore.. still boost fine and no creep or anything.. any help?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Muse O2 dump as well..... you should definitely be able to hear that thing. You sure you're boosting the same PSI?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 05:17 AM

Yes still same psi..
Old Jun 2, 2015, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
hmm something is definitely strange.
My muse 02 dump measured 122 db at the passenger window.... that's not something that goes away...
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a large boost leak causing turbo to run it's nuts off to just barely meet target boost?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 02:09 PM

Ill try a boost leak test but car still pulls super hard.. just only difference is o2 dump is quite.. all the bolts on the o2 housing bis tight too.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Surprised nobody has said this yet but the problem sounds pretty obvious to me. You need to check the condition of the wastegate i.e the actual arm and the flapper. I bet for whatever reason the wastegate is stuck.

If you go WOT and you aren't hearing any noise coming out of the dump then the wastegate is not opening. That's why you aren't hearing any noise.

And given this the chances are your car is overboosting as the wastegate isnt bleeding off additional pressure. Have you logged boost and AFR's?

Regardless, get this sorted out and dont go WOT anymore as you could easily pop your turbo or even worse your motor if you aren't careful!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Surprised nobody has said this yet but the problem sounds pretty obvious to me. You need to check the condition of the wastegate i.e the actual arm and the flapper. I bet for whatever reason the wastegate is stuck.

If you go WOT and you aren't hearing any noise coming out of the dump then the wastegate is not opening. That's why you aren't hearing any noise.

And given this the chances are your car is overboosting as the wastegate isnt bleeding off additional pressure. Have you logged boost and AFR's?

Regardless, get this sorted out and dont go WOT anymore as you could easily pop your turbo or even worse your motor if you aren't careful!
no one mentioned it because in his first post he states "no creep" on the topic of boost = not over boosting.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yes, you are correct he did mention that it's not creeping. But boost creep isn't always obvious. I have no idea what turbo he is running nor what pressure he is targeting but I do know that a typical stock turbo setup that say spikes 25# will taper off to like 17-18# at redline. Maybe now its doing something like tapering off to say 21# as opposed to tapering off to like 17/18#... That is still technically boost creep.

I know what you're saying and I see where youre coming from but I'd still love to see a boost plot. Even better would be a from a known good log vs what it's doing now.

Even so at the end of the day if he doesnt hear the dump the only thing that could mean is that the wastegate isn't opening. As to why the boost isn't creeping by his definition could be from a multitude of things. Maybe he is running so much boost that the turbo cant even creep bc it cant build enough pressure to creep? Who knows? More info regarding the setup would be great. But I still stand by my comment that its obvious the wastegate isn't opening. So the question is why?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What's your afr readings at wot?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Yes, you are correct he did mention that it's not creeping. But boost creep isn't always obvious. I have no idea what turbo he is running nor what pressure he is targeting but I do know that a typical stock turbo setup that say spikes 25# will taper off to like 17-18# at redline. Maybe now its doing something like tapering off to say 21# as opposed to tapering off to like 17/18#... That is still technically boost creep.

I know what you're saying and I see where youre coming from but I'd still love to see a boost plot. Even better would be a from a known good log vs what it's doing now.

Even so at the end of the day if he doesnt hear the dump the only thing that could mean is that the wastegate isn't opening. As to why the boost isn't creeping by his definition could be from a multitude of things. Maybe he is running so much boost that the turbo cant even creep bc it cant build enough pressure to creep? Who knows? More info regarding the setup would be great. But I still stand by my comment that its obvious the wastegate isn't opening. So the question is why?
I believe you... I took the man at his word.
Maybe there is a squirrel caught in his tube and he doesn't notice the extra boost, perhaps what he is taking for data does not have the resolution to show a significant difference.

Something is def wrong, regardless of what info is given, there is no way an open dump is quite lol
Old Jun 3, 2015, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change your hearing aide battery. can you turn your boost down to check it?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:20 PM

Sorry guys been busy will probably have time to do some testing this weekend.. thx everyone..