Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help; Turn the steering wheel at idle, HIGH revs!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help; Turn the steering wheel at idle, HIGH revs!?

Has anyone had an issue of the car revving super high when you turn the steering wheel at idle? When I turn the AC on too it revs VERY high. I mean, the AC causing the car to rev is normal but not so high. The car revs to about 3200 rpms and stays there at idle if the ac is on or I am turning the wheel back and fourth. I am at a loss. I am also throwing P0121 code for TPS and P0507 for Idle control system rpm higher than expected. Note; this all happened after the person tuning my car was "trying" to fix it from stalling out on a cold start.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by nsheasley
Has anyone had an issue of the car revving super high when you turn the steering wheel at idle? When I turn the AC on too it revs VERY high. I mean, the AC causing the car to rev is normal but not so high. The car revs to about 3200 rpms and stays there at idle if the ac is on or I am turning the wheel back and fourth. I am at a loss. I am also throwing P0121 code for TPS and P0507 for Idle control system rpm higher than expected. Note; this all happened after the person tuning my car was "trying" to fix it from stalling out on a cold start.
when i turn at idle it revs up alittle maybe 100-200 rpm. when i turn on my ac it doesnt go up at all. maybe try messing with the idle and lower it.. possible bad tune.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by buzzzin_IX
when i turn at idle it revs up alittle maybe 100-200 rpm. when i turn on my ac it doesnt go up at all. maybe try messing with the idle and lower it.. possible bad tune.

I am thinking it's a bad tune and IACV went bad. I've been searching around and all signs lead to the IAC V but nobody has said anything about the steering wheel thing.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 07:07 AM

Couple of things. Is the car tuned? I know you can tune an RPM rise when the AC is on when using AEM, I'd assume Evoscan has similar parameters. In regards to the power steering, there's a pressure sensor on the pump that will bump RPM if you turn the wheel to the lock (so the car doesn't stall).

Chances are that your TPS is causing the issue though. The PS pressure sensor would throw it's own code.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jetech38
Couple of things. Is the car tuned? I know you can tune an RPM rise when the AC is on when using AEM, I'd assume Evoscan has similar parameters. In regards to the power steering, there's a pressure sensor on the pump that will bump RPM if you turn the wheel to the lock (so the car doesn't stall).

Chances are that your TPS is causing the issue though. The PS pressure sensor would throw it's own code.

I am tuned through evoscan not AEM. I am sure too there are similar parameters but both the AC and steering wheel jump roughly 800 rpms when either on or turned at idle. It also jumps and sticks to 2200 sometimes when normal idle is around 1500. Two of those symptoms are leading around to the IAC V and the codes it's throwing is leading to that too. I'm checking that this morning here by taking it out and cleaning it. I may swap my buddies in there too and try his.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:30 AM

To update, I took the IAC V out and cleaned it off and cleaned the TB out and still at idle if I turn the steering wheel, the car revs up very high. Same with turn the AC on. Stays up and revs doesn't go down.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

its in the tune . there are parameters for it
Old Jun 8, 2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
its in the tune . there are parameters for it

So you don't think the IAC V is bad? The AC spiking so high is in the tune as well as turning the steering wheel? I think you're right because I feel as if it was the IAC V, it would be more a constant idle issue.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

at least the a/c. subies have a table that is related to the power steering pressure. i have not messed with the evo table as i have no a/c. here is a screenshot of the table
Attached Thumbnails Help; Turn the steering wheel at idle, HIGH revs!?-screenshot-5-.png  
Old Jun 8, 2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
at least the a/c. subies have a table that is related to the power steering pressure. i have not messed with the evo table as i have no a/c. here is a screenshot of the table

I see what you're saying. I'm having another tuner go over my map Thursday. Will let you know the results!