Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Seat height adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat height adjustment?

Did a quick search, but came up with nothing . . .

I was considering an Evo for my next car, but one negative (for my wife, who would have to drive it on occasion) is that you can't adjust the height of the seats.

Are there any aftermarket seat brackets that allow height adjustability. If not, then to for overlooking a basic feature found even on $15k cars.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 06:41 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Re: Seat height adjustment?

Originally posted by Max Rebo
Are there any aftermarket seat brackets that allow height adjustability.
Check with your local Recaro dealer. Recaro makes bracket kits for most of their seats, so getting a bracket to fit the stock Recaros shouldn't be difficult. It's getting one to fit the stock mounting holes on the EVO that will be the trick. I don't know if Recaro are producing any aftermarket brackets to fit the EVO, yet.

(Recaro didn't list the EVO on their applications page when I checked last -- but that was back in June.)
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They may be recaros, but that doesn't mean poop on the track, I wouldn't try blowing smoke about them having a brand.

that said, your best bet, (trailer park style) would be to carry around a bit of foam to sit on. Then take the car to a fab shop to have some kind of "lift kit" installed. As the seats have a funky mounting point in the rear , I don't think you will find an easy fix.

You might try some of the nicer beaded seat covers intended to raise your butt.
If you are tall and she is short, I would think instillation of a different seat might be the only route.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

posted by SR20DET:

As far as the seat height adjustment question, I have thought about this myself. I was thinking of finding a vehicle that comes from the factor with this feature and retro fitting to the seat and the floor pan. I'm sure it would require some custom brackets, but should be doable. It would be perfect if some of the base lancers had this feature(not sure though), because then all you would have to worry about is making the bracket mount up to the bottom of the Recaro. I may check out the junk yards today.

Last edited by blonde; Mar 21, 2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

ok, clean now and please don't post unless you have something useful to add...
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:38 AM

i dont believe that they have Height adjustablity i did a sparco seat up grade instead of keeping the recaro but the only way your really going to be able to keep her in the seat and be able to see is a phone book! OR a little pillow thats what i did with my old car
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

There is a thread that had a how to on cutting the seat bracket to lower it 1-3 inches.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
There is a thread that had a how to on cutting the seat bracket to lower it 1-3 inches.
that would work but i don't think it will be ideal for him. i think he is tall and his wife is short which means that they both require differnet driving position.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Finally, some useful answers. Thanks to the moderator for deleting the other useless posts. And thanks to those who have tried to help.

Sorry about the rant, too, but people like that really irritate me.

Yes, my wife is shorter than I am, so my curiosity about seat height adjustment is for her benefit, not mine.

Last edited by Max Rebo; Mar 21, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:16 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Okay, I checked the Recaro web site again.

They still don't list adapters for the USDM EVO8, but they show adapters for the EVO6 http://www.recaro.com/englisch/produ...p?typ=d&ID=385 and the Colt/Lancer http://www.recaro.com/englisch/produ...p?typ=d&ID=172 but neither have height adjustments. (Interesting that the EVO6 one comes with a first aid kit.)

Might it be possible to shim the front of the rails, so that the seat would be higher when you slide it forward? (There might be problems with this, if the stock rails are thin and need to be supported by the floor. You might need an adapter wedge rather than just some spacers.)

But I seem to recall the US EVO8 having pre-tensioners on the belts, as well as air bags. So fiddling with the seat position may be something to approach with caution. ("Where do you want to get hit by the airbag, today?")

Last edited by DGS; Mar 22, 2004 at 06:44 AM.