Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII: Collectors Item

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well if thats true, keep them, clean them ... and stay happy
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 992gnt
They quit making the Supra, RX-7 and the 300Z becuase they were expensive and no one was buying them. Sounds the same to me (except the expensive part).
Exactly. And of those three cars, only the Supra has retained any value whatsoever, not b/c it is fast, but more so b/c the engine is bulletproof.

Performance isn't sufficient, e.g. the rx-7 and the 3000gt and the 300z.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

All the 90's supercars were way expensive though. We're talking $40K+. Not exactly a fair comparison to the Evo...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:33 AM

Magazine articles

This is a bit off topic...Ok, completely...but could someone point me to a couple of the magazine articles which compared the Evo to the top sports cars? I recall one where the best-handling was the Ferrari and the evo in the same league, another where it was compared with a whole lot of expensive european and italian sports cars and another where it was compared to the Porsche Carrera C4-s (that was a cover story). I'm trying to put together a few of these articles and really would appreciate anyone being able to give me a copy of these articles or post 'em or tell me where I can find 'em. Thanks much and sorry for the hijack...I just didn't want to start a whole new thread for this (and I did do a search before I wrote this...couldn't find copies of any of the articles and I recall seeing a couple of them in the forums last year) Thanks again guys
Old Mar 23, 2004, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

You can order back issues from the magazine publishers. Just check their website and send them proper dues for their copyright works.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 06:52 AM

Corporate Mitsubishi is not doin to well in the automotive business world. Not just the **** we see on main street, but internationally. The EVO sales are the only good news for their auto sales, according to the bean counters. Just because you may know of one down the block that hasnt sold yet doesnt represent, well, ****. They sold VERY well. Anyway, there will be an EVO IX next JAnuary (for America too) and the plan is for a tenth edition one year after that ('06) and then the EVO will be based on another car.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Evo will share a platform with a neon? WTF? I guess time to move on then...Byee byeee evo...And **** . The people in this corporation don't know how to do businese. Seriously....I would love to take over as their chairman. Why not put the legendary 4G63T in a lighter, 2 doors, uncompromised sport car like the lotus elise? Why the hell not???? That's the only way to fully take advantage of the I-4, it will yeild a much better power to weight ratio. I hope that the EVO will evolve into a better EVO and like the Skyline GTR, it should shed itself from its inferior cousin, the lancer. It shouldnt be called lancer EVO, but just simply EVO. Move away from simple and plane design that have to be confined to be based on another eco platform, but let the EVO rans free for once. THe possibility can be infinite!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

By the way, the supra became a legend here in the States not just because of their bullet proof engine and tranny, but its styling!!! The design of the car never really faded out and same goes for the RX-7 body style. They are the sexiest import cars here in the states. You have to combine performance with nice body style and an awesome powertrain to make something into a legend. These aspects combine with the rarity of the car can make it even more desirable. There was a international supra meet here in Houston, TX and I kinda tell ya, so many exotic cars like 911 turno, modded Z06, and modded Vipers came out to challenge the legends. In my opinion, I think supras are such a beautiful car and 50K is not expensive for such a beautiful car. I only hope that the EVO will be discontinue soon and just simply stop making them all together. If mitsu faded out the 4G63T, then I think the EVO may be able enter the list among supra and RX-7.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

yeah we need more evo fine-tuning, we dont want to significantly raise the price of the package
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by masterevo
By the way, the supra became a legend here in the States not just because of their bullet proof engine and tranny, but its styling!!! The design of the car never really faded out and same goes for the RX-7 body style. They are the sexiest import cars here in the states. You have to combine performance with nice body style and an awesome powertrain to make something into a legend. These aspects combine with the rarity of the car can make it even more desirable. There was a international supra meet here in Houston, TX and I kinda tell ya, so many exotic cars like 911 turno, modded Z06, and modded Vipers came out to challenge the legends. In my opinion, I think supras are such a beautiful car and 50K is not expensive for such a beautiful car. I only hope that the EVO will be discontinue soon and just simply stop making them all together. If mitsu faded out the 4G63T, then I think the EVO may be able enter the list among supra and RX-7.
yeah but i drew a distinction between the Supra and the Rx-7. The 7 is NOT up there with the Supra in terms of retaining value. Both look good according to most. Thus, looking good is NOT SUFFICIENT for these cars to retain such a high resale value.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Reliability is usually the best factor in desirability.. who wants something thats gonna break? and rx7s melted enough motors under warranty to cause alarm.. The Evo isn't doing much to assure future owners of trouble free performance. The Supra is so overbuilt and strong it is something many future owners can enjoy for many years to come.. If they melt drivelines and knock rod bolts out of motors under warranty, it doesn't bode well for resale value.. This isn't something particular to "performance cars" either look at econoboxes.. Those that last are worth much more than those that are lucky to last until the warranty is out.. Why are Toyotas (lexus) able to achieve such high resale value... Dependability..
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by masterevo
Evo will share a platform with a neon? WTF? I guess time to move on then...Byee byeee evo...And **** . The people in this corporation don't know how to do businese. Seriously....I would love to take over as their chairman. Why not put the legendary 4G63T in a lighter, 2 doors, uncompromised sport car like the lotus elise? Why the hell not???? That's the only way to fully take advantage of the I-4, it will yeild a much better power to weight ratio. I hope that the EVO will evolve into a better EVO and like the Skyline GTR, it should shed itself from its inferior cousin, the lancer. It shouldnt be called lancer EVO, but just simply EVO. Move away from simple and plane design that have to be confined to be based on another eco platform, but let the EVO rans free for once. THe possibility can be infinite!!!!!!!!!!
Making you the chairman would ensure that they would go out of business in the states. It is the the BS middle of the pack cars that Mitsu needs to sell. The Galant, for example, needs to be better, cheaper, and most importantly, PERCIEVED to be a better value than an Accord for Mitsu to do well. Mitsu corporate probably thinks that marketing the Evo in the states was a mistake, and they are right. They got some foot trafffic and PR but that is about it. Otherwise, the had to install a boatload of infrustructure, finance cold marketing, federalize, certify, train and do the supply chain for what amounts to about 5000 cars. 5000 cars isn't a pimple on their *** as sales go...

Im I glad I can buy an Evo in the states? Hell yes.

Was it good for Mitsu? No freekin way...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Was it good... It is way too early to tell.. If you look at anything early on, there is very little progress. For a start, I'd say it hasn't been great but it hasn't been bad. If you start anything and stop it before it has a chance to complete a cycle, it's certainly going to fail. The Evo coming here would be on a minimum 3 year cycle. But then again, Mitsu might have short sighted this project and anticipated certain goals at 24 months. The big bucks have been spent at this point though, and if things can maintain the current course the project has the current momentum to break even, and possibly succeed quite well with appropriate minor course adjustments. The Evo is doing pretty good with a few hiccups. Sort those out, get the Lancer WRC working for them, a little more corporate and delaer support for owners and they could really start reaping some great accolades from both critics and owners and bring in greenbacks. If that means adjusting by increasing the sales price of the car a grand, it should occur quickly.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Not to turn this into more bashing, but my biggest hesitation in buying my Evo was that it would be "supported" by Mitsubishi. I took that to mean that the car was essentially without warranty and I would be responsible for paying for any problems. The reason I felt this way came from buying one other new Mitsubishi, an experienced I promised myself I would never repeat.

That I did buy my Evo after my prior problems says alot about what a car like this could do for Mitsubishi. Unfortunately it looks like quite a few Evo owners are experiencing the same kinds of frustrations that I went through with my prior car. I have two friends who bought Evos and have sold them within six months of buying them; not a good sign for Mitsubishi.

If had stepped up and treated me well with either my prior car or my Evo (instead of tagging my Evo with a "warranty watch flag" despite having never been presented to a dealership with a problem), I would probably be a regular customer. Now, however, when we buy my wife a new car within the next year, it won't be a Lancer RA, even though the RA would be a great fit for her. It's far more likely to be a WRX, Acura or Honda. I've had outstanding support from all of those dealers in the past; I can't say that about Mitsubishi.

I don't know when or if the Evo will become truly collectable. I expect the Evo to be valued like 3rd Gen RX-7s. Not exactly collectable, but a good example will still have decent value.