Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII: Collectors Item

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Evo VIII: Collectors Item

Well guys it seems that only 1500 Evo VIII's for '04 are coming to the states.. mitsu took a gamble that the evo would take off because of 2F2F... whoops so thats why only 1500 are coming to the states. Now of the 1500 they are going to be split into 2 selling categories: 1) they cf spoiler is standard(no more small spoilers) and everything stock for the first group. 2) the second group will consist of leather recaro's(BIG MISTAKE IMO) and everything you can find in the Ralliart will be included(subwoofer yada yada).
Now heres the big news! after this the Evo will no longer be design based off the Lancer.. so in other words gentleman and ladies... we are now collectors LOL. I guess buy'em while their hot huh?
all my info I found from Automobile Mag.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd take the info with a grain of salt.. Although your right about the car's redesign (The Dodge Neon, Lancer will share a platform and major redesign in '05, don't remember if 05 was the year though)

It'll be interesting to see how things go..

If its true, its no surprise, the GVR4 only sold for a few years and had very low production numbers.

Unfortunately, just because something is rare, doesn't necessarily mean its going to be valuable.. (I can only hope)

Anyone have any more info?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought they were changing the evo for 2006? I mean a different platform? Most magazine's are full of ****, so don't count on the info to be completely true. The info about spliting the groups is true though.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

I thnk the leather seats are HOT!!!!.. have you seen them in the FQ-300's.... sweetness is all I am going to say.....
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

leather + USDM-spec seat widths = getting thrown around in turns
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Evo VIII: Collectors Item

Originally posted by EvoVIIIFL
Well guys it seems that only 1500 Evo VIII's for '04 are coming to the states.. mitsu took a gamble that the evo would take off because of 2F2F... whoops so thats why only 1500 are coming to the states. Now of the 1500 they are going to be split into 2 selling categories: 1) they cf spoiler is standard(no more small spoilers) and everything stock for the first group. 2) the second group will consist of leather recaro's(BIG MISTAKE IMO) and everything you can find in the Ralliart will be included(subwoofer yada yada).
Now heres the big news! after this the Evo will no longer be design based off the Lancer.. so in other words gentleman and ladies... we are now collectors LOL. I guess buy'em while their hot huh?
Only 1500 are coming because it is time for 05 already.
You will see them Aug/Sep.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

i like this news.the evo is a special car in my mind anyways.same with the STI .resale should be good on evos.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

I feel like the Evolution did not sell because it lacked on options that made it what it is. Mitusbishi probably could have sold more if they offered an Equal to a EDM RS-II equipped car.

Oh well, hopefully they'll learn and just offer a full blown MR in the not too distant future.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ez76
leather + USDM-spec seat widths = getting thrown around in turns
Definitely. The seats as they are now are not snug enough for me. Not the leg bolsters, anyway...
Old Mar 22, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

if the evolution didnt sell well last year its only because they didn't advertise it at all. turn on speed channel , almost every commercial break is a wrx.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Now of the 1500 they are going to be split into 2 selling categories: 1) they cf spoiler is standard(no more small spoilers) and everything stock for the first group. 2) the second group will consist of leather recaro's(BIG MISTAKE IMO) and everything you can find in the Ralliart will be included(subwoofer yada yada).
What do you mean by everything stock? It'll come with all the optional stuff like sunroof and interior trim? Or do you mean that it'll be just like the '03s?

And I agree with TomsSound....if spent more time advertising the Evo and not spying on Evo owners, they'd sell a lot more of them.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the Evo was selling better than the STi. Why would Mitsu go around advertising a 2003 model car to the general masses when the car is not something the general masses want? It would be doubly stupid. 1) Advertising a 2003 model when 2005s are nearly hear.. That just emphasises they're mistake. 2) General Masses are barely inclined to get a WRX and it's much more civil. an Evo is a very focused speciality market vehicle. Think Z06, GT3.. How many commercials do you see for those? Maybe a Malibu or a Boxster, becuase those are more in line with the masses. Those who want an Evo, Z06, or GT3, know it and get it. they don't need advertising.

As for 1500 for 04. It really sounds like Mitsu is fixing the model year mistake and will have 05s available shortly after those sell through.

As for 06s possibly sharing a platform with Neons, Snowmen, or Artichokes. Who cares as long as they maintain the heart and soul of the Evo's driving passion. Keep that spot on precision handling! Throw in a 2.4L 300hp/300tq Damiler/Chrysler/Dodge/Mitsubishi motor with AWD and good styling and it's only a win win for us all..

Now if they can only remember to throw in cruise control with all the current power goodies...
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Its all good... doesn't bother me at all.
If we have the last of the infamous 4363T motor and lancer evo cars, It makes ours just that much more desirable and will hold its value better... (Think MkIV supra or 300zx tt )
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well guys it seems that only 1500 Evo VIII's for '04 are coming to the states.. mitsu took a gamble that the evo would take off because of 2F2F... whoops so thats why only 1500 are coming to the states. Now of the 1500 they are going to be split into 2 selling categoriesNow heres the big news! after this the Evo will no longer be design based off the Lancer.. so in other words gentleman and ladies... we are now collectors LOL. I guess buy'em while their hot huh?

Here's my problem with this reasoning. Mitsubishi's limiting the supply b/c of little demand is completely different from a car being limited despite having high demand. It Mitsu made so much more than consumers wanted, somehow i don't think the EVO will be a collectors car simply b/c there are less of them. Maybe in 20 yrs
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

They quit making the Supra, RX-7 and the 300Z becuase they were expensive and no one was buying them. Sounds the same to me (except the expensive part).

Quick Reply: Evo VIII: Collectors Item