Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New to the Evo Scene

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to the Evo Scene

Hello Everyone!

My name is Abdula and I am new to this forum. Just picked up my first Evo this past week. I have been a motorsport enthusiast for about as long as I can remember. If it goes fast I generally like it. I live in the Wichita, Kansas area and have basically grown up here since I was 7 and am currently 24 years old. I have my degree in International Business with minors in Management and Chemistry from Wichita State University and I also have my MBA from Friends University.

I currently own a 1986 Toyota Pickup and a 2007 Triumph Daytona. I had a 2014 Mustang GT but ended up having it totaled when a Lexus SUV slammed on her brakes at a green light. Did a lot of research on what I wanted my next car to be and decided on an Evo. At first I wanted an Evo X but did not want to go the aluminum block route again and felt that the VIII's and IX's had more potential in them for me personally.

Eventually I decided that I wanted to get an IX and began my search. I looked at the for sale forums everyday multiple times to find the right car. I would also get on craigslist and hop around from city to city to see what I could find.

While at work Monday morning June 15th I was on the Atlanta Craigslist browsing the sparse selection of Evo's when at the bottom of the page in the surrounding areas section I found what could possibly be a gem.

A 2006 Silver Evo MR with only 22,000 miles on the clock. The block was built by english racing. The head work was done by some guys who work at APR in Auburn, Alabama. A few emails, text messages, and phone call later I had a Cashiers check in hand and a ticket to fly into Atlanta the next morning.

We went on a very hot test drive as the car had no A/C at the time and I fell in love with the car. We drove to his bank and finalized the paper work and I made the drive back to Atlanta. Wednesday morning I woke up and scoured the area for a shop that would install the A/C for me so I could make the trek back to Kansas. Finally found the guys out at EB Tech in the Powder Springs, Georgia area. Very kind and hospitable guys who helped me install the A/C onto the car.

I took the time to visit some family and hang out with my cousins then thursday morning made the drive back to Kansas to be at work on friday. On the way home I scheduled a dyno tune with Modified by KC on the following Saturday. I decided to get the car tuned as soon as possible because I was not sure who had originally tuned the car and the car was tuned for 93 octane and was making a claimed 639 horse on pump gas with a factory transmission.

On the drive back I noticed if I was in town the radiator fan was not working, a "quality" flexalite fan. It was working when we installed the A/C but the next day nothing. I am assuming it is either the fan or control module as all the fuses checked out. Since the car was still staying cool on the highway even with A/C on max I paid it no mind. Eventually there came a time in my journey where gas stations no longer served the 93 octane fuel and I was limited to 91. I could not rev over 4.5k or really get into boost before the car started to complain and the ECU give a knock light, so needless to say the rest of the drive was rather mundane.

The car handled and drove wonderfully on the Ksport coilovers albeit a little bumpy (with Oklahoma by far being the worst roads to drive on with absurdly high tolls), but hey, race car.

Got back to Wichita with eager anticipation for Saturday's Dyno tune. Saturday morning Finally came and I drove to the guys at MKC and the car was on their dyno first thing and the tuner did an excellent job. He really took his time and I feel really confident in his tune. We dialed the boost back to about 30psi and the car makes in the 500whp range until I hopefully build tranny this year and will be feeding the car some corn then.

and below are some pictures! It is a pleasure to be a part of this forum! Hopefully I will be learning a lot and have wonderful assistance from the people here.

Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:22 PM

I can't believe I read all of that but it looks like you found a nice car. Welcome to the forums. Unlike some other forums you'll find few here that want to read or write such a long post, so If you'd like replies keep it short and to the point in the future.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
nice setup and pics, theres a forum for new owners here too for introductions etc
Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

That car looks clean and well built. Congratulations and enjoy the addiction.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoy it.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:15 PM

Very clean car! Nice pick up and congrats!

What're the wheels on her?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:54 PM

Thank you everyone!

The wheels are advan rd-g's. Really tight fit with the project mu calipers.

I need to replace the radiator fan. But I don't have much room. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ekris
Very clean car! Nice pick up and congrats!

What're the wheels on her?
Advan rd-g

And thank you!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 09:42 AM

what are the specs on the wheels?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 04:03 PM

Congrats on getting the coolest car ever. Kinda far, but I'm in Manhattan till July.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 04:16 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome!!!
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by uicsux
what are the specs on the wheels?
I will let you know when I get the car on a lift. I looked and don't have the specs
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:33 AM

Congrats on the purchase. Cool story all in all. Sounds like you have a good starting point with a build motor so it should be fun building off of that.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by LordCthulu
Congrats on getting the coolest car ever. Kinda far, but I'm in Manhattan till July.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by white rocket
Congrats on the purchase. Cool story all in all. Sounds like you have a good starting point with a build motor so it should be fun building off of that.
Yes I am extremely excited Thank you!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the club. You rolled the dice buying someone else's project. Try not to get too crazy.....its really easy with these cars.

Quick Reply: New to the Evo Scene