Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

going lean?........

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
if your car is tuned for it, then yes. with AEM pretty much everything needs to be scaled, tuned, etc.
no ****? I thought it was supposed to compensate automatically...so you're saying in order for the iat sensor to compensate the tuner has to tune for that? Hmm...maybe that's the issue...I need to figure out how to add fuel to this thing...I'm so close to just hook up the laptop and start messing with it...on stock ecu with speed density do you have to tune every time the weather changes?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 03:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by nor11384
no ****? I thought it was supposed to compensate automatically...so you're saying in order for the iat sensor to compensate the tuner has to tune for that? Hmm...maybe that's the issue...I need to figure out how to add fuel to this thing...I'm so close to just hook up the laptop and start messing with it...on stock ecu with speed density do you have to tune every time the weather changes?
If your AEM is like the one I messed with, yes. The software was pretty much bare and everything needed to be setup. The downside is lots of time involved, the upside is more detail and options.
Not sure if yours is the same and/or if it were tuned, but it's with a shot.
I'm lazy, that's why I run the stock ECU LOL
Hit up Jay @ BoostedTuning.com
He's done all my cars. Hens the expert. I just learn as I go.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
If your AEM is like the one I messed with, yes. The software was pretty much bare and everything needed to be setup. The downside is lots of time involved, the upside is more detail and options.
Not sure if yours is the same and/or if it were tuned, but it's with a shot.
I'm lazy, that's why I run the stock ECU LOL
Hit up Jay @ BoostedTuning.com
He's done all my cars. Hens the expert. I just learn as I go.
lol yeah I have v1...it's the first one...I've been thinking of going to stock ecu...for some reason my tuner couldn't get the tach to work with aem...I wrote aem and they said 90% of the time is a tuner issue...works with my stock ecu...might just get an omni map sensor and slap stock ecu on and tune on that... Aem is so much more convenient though because of tuning on the fly...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 07:58 AM
kaj

lol yeah I have v1...it's the first one...I've been thinking of going to stock ecu...for some reason my tuner couldn't get the tach to work with aem...I wrote aem and they said 90% of the time is a tuner issue...works with my stock ecu...might just get an omni map sensor and slap stock ecu on and tune on that... Aem is so much more convenient though because of tuning on the fly...
i always try to keep things as simple as possible. that's just me. it's easier and everything pretty much just works.

with EcuFlash, i don't see much reason for stand-alone unless you have a full-on race car. just my opinion, of course.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i always try to keep things as simple as possible. that's just me. it's easier and everything pretty much just works.

with EcuFlash, i don't see much reason for stand-alone unless you have a full-on race car. just my opinion, of course.
I'm with ya...I just hate that you have to turn the car off every time you have to make an adjustment...I installed aem because I got it on a deal with the car but might just throw the stock ecu on the car and tune it...I just thought that since with aem you could tune everything you can make more power on aem then stock ecu... Idk maybe it's the same ****...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 03:05 PM
kaj

I'm with ya...I just hate that you have to turn the car off every time you have to make an adjustment...I installed aem because I got it on a deal with the car but might just throw the stock ecu on the car and tune it...I just thought that since with aem you could tune everything you can make more power on aem then stock ecu... Idk maybe it's the same ****...
i'm not sure about more power but you will have more options such as fail-safes, etc. the maps, if i remember right, are higher resolution so you can do more fine tuning which may give you a smoother-running car. you can also use other methods of engine monitoring that aren't recognized by the stock computer.
IMO, stock ECU tuning has come so far, that i just don't see the advantage of AEM (for most of us). for other platforms? probably,but our ECUs have been cracked to the point that we can pretty much do anything we need.
plus we can now tune our ACD units. scooooooooooore!