Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 07:29 AM
DEA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headed down there in a little to get my own eyes on it
Old Jun 26, 2015, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Throwing in my two cents here as well. The bearing design won't allow for shrink. Also, had the balance shaft seized, you wouldn't have driven that car anywhere.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
duddeee I felt so bad readin that, and then I felt worse after seeing you got lied to! Idk how i'd handle this situation probably starting throwing ****
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:38 AM
DEA

heres where we stand...

went down took a look inside and the the bearing is not allowing the shaft to spin as easily as it should. being that its made from aluminum the heat from not taking care of the oil warped it. thats the best word i can think of. the shaft still turns when i spin it with my hand but its not as easy as it should be. being that its so deep in the engine, there is nomachine shop around that will bore the housing. i was reading that about 6 months ago mitsubishi was getting rid of entire motors for the cost of a short block. does anyone know anything about that?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:42 AM
DEA

as far as the balance shaft goes, i was told by multiple mechanics that it could have just gone bad from being 23k overdue on the service. the belt was shredded and i was told that until you take it off it would still turn and run. being my first evo im not exactly up to speed on how this **** works. anyone around the metro detroit area who knows a thing or two i would really appreciate your help educating me
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DEA
as far as the balance shaft goes, i was told by multiple mechanics that it could have just gone bad from being 23k overdue on the service. the belt was shredded and i was told that until you take it off it would still turn and run. being my first evo im not exactly up to speed on how this **** works. anyone around the metro detroit area who knows a thing or two i would really appreciate your help educating me
OK the fix is very simple install a balance shaft removal kit there's a how to on vfaq for the 4g63. Reuse the same bearings just spin them 90degrees so the oil hole doesn't line up anymore and run this motor until it dies.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 02:33 PM

This is super scary.. I hope everything works out for ya
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:26 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also very sad to hear this. Any updates?
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:20 PM

I read somewhere you could get a whole new engine from mitsubishi for around 5k you can't beat that, sorry about your EVO homes
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shop woes.

never ending
Old Jul 6, 2015, 02:29 PM

Do you have experience with this shop? Does the shop have experience with evo's?

Man.. terrible story. I'd cut your loss, find someone that knows the cars with a good reputation.. and have the pile of parts towed to them. This mechanic sounds like they're dishonest, incompetent, or both.

FWIW, [and not to be a dick] but you're clearly not very good at picking a. cars and b. mechanics. Next time.. spend the $ on a pre purchase inspection to have the car checked out by a competent shop. It shouldn't be that hard to find a good shop with forums, yelp, etc. Ideally buy a car with a documented service history.

Caveat emptor and all that.. good luck. hope it doesn't get too much worse.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 08:55 PM

It's hard to find a shop that does a lot of Evos. It took me a while to find a good shot that I felt confident in building my car.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by metaj
It's hard to find a shop that does a lot of Evos. It took me a while to find a good shot that I felt confident in building my car.
sure but easy to find a competent, honest mechanic that can do a timing belt on a japanese i4. it's a lancer, not the space shuttle.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iin10ded
sure but easy to find a competent, honest mechanic that can do a timing belt on a japanese i4. it's a lancer, not the space shuttle.
That's true it's not the space shuttle but there are a couple details changing the belts and water pump that can mess up the install. For example knowing how to properly time the balance shaft, how to pre- tension the main belt before activating the self adjusting tensioner etc.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 01:50 PM

You are getting screwed! What they told you is NOT possible if you were still driving car with no issues. Take your car elsewhere!

Quick Reply: Horror Story