Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:20 PM
DEA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horror Story

Been looking for an evo for a few years. Finally got one a couple weeks ago. A beautiful apex silver 06 MR with only 83,000 miles one it. Paid 16,500 for it, 5,500 cash and 11,000 with a loan. Knowing it needed new tires and new rear brakes i took it to a mechanic for a final once over. Everything looked good according to them.

After having the car for a couple days i realized that i didn't think to ask about the timing belt being done. big mistake... it was never changed. So i took it in on monday and was going to wait for it to get done. After a couple hours they came to me and said the balance shaft was seized and i should find a ride home. wednesday rolls around and the parts are still not in. On thursday i was told that they could not get one of the bearings out because it had shrunk.

Fast forward to the next tuesday. I get a phone call asking permission to drop the engine out in order to get at it easier. i agreed. that same day i get another call saying they got it out and would work on putting everything back together. now today is thursday. i get another call saying the bearing housing has also shrunk due to the engine being overheated either running it low or without oil. i was led to believe that all maintenance and oil changes had been done in a timely manner. clearly a lie, yet my fault for not asking for proof. tomorrow is judgement day and i will know by noon if i need a new block...

everyone, please, for my sake, pray to the car gods on my behalf

also, if you have line on a cheap block send it my way
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VERY sad to hear your Evo woes… difficult to see someone find what they think is a well kept car, only to have it crumble before their very eyes… Hope you get it all sorted out.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 92 Likes on 77 Posts
Did you take the car out to a different dealership to have the car diagnosed before buy? Did they notice the timing belt and engine issues?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Sorry to hear your drama mate.

Have a few thoughts about doing a build while its down, don't just pay for a full rebuild back to normal without maybe some internal improvements. It might save you in the long run.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 09:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you buy the car? You get what you pay for sometimes.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my cars in for a timing belt change atm... your story scares me lol

all the best man. hope its all good news tomorrow
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:19 PM

Sorry to hear about that.. Best of luck and keep us up to date!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thinking you need a new mechanic---frozen balance shaft rt? And it ran that way with no signs of anything wrong rt? How could it be frozen and still work fine with no drag on the engine considering its tied to the Timing belt-- well not possible. BTW the bearing is babbit--it doenst freeze anything, it can spin ( as in the bore)and it can wear down but it cant freeze up--it designed that way. Now if the bearing can wear down by design--how does it "shrink up" again not possible. Take it elsewhere asap. Check the oil is should have bearing particles in it if anything they said it true.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
thinking you need a new mechanic---frozen balance shaft rt? And it ran that way with no signs of anything wrong rt? How could it be frozen and still work fine with no drag on the engine considering its tied to the Timing belt-- well not possible. BTW the bearing is babbit--it doenst freeze anything, it can spin ( as in the bore)and it can wear down but it cant freeze up--it designed that way. Now if the bearing can wear down by design--how does it "shrink up" again not possible. Take it elsewhere asap. Check the oil is should have bearing particles in it if anything they said it true.

I'm going to second this. If you're balance shaft wasn't operating - seized up - you would notice the NVH within seconds of any driving.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Your mechanic is taking you for a ride.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When the balance shaft siezes it takes out the balance shaft belt and the engine stops running. Its not possible to have a seized balance shaft and still be driving the car.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
Ding ding ding! Get down to that shop and figure out what the hell is going on. Do you know any local Evo owners?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You have been screwed over and lied to by this mechanic
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the shop you brought it to pulled a fast one on you. Answer me this....do you honestly think if your car drove perfectly fine before you brought it to the shop there would be issues with your balance shafts? If your balance shafts were actually seized like they said, you would know!!! Prolly crazy vibrations or prolly wouldn't even start for that matter. I suggest you get a lawyer and go after the shop.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Read my story: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-shop.html

Then run away from that shop, there is no way that motor would run normal if the balance shaft had ceased up.

Quick Reply: Horror Story