Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 MR Rattle Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015 | 09:11 AM

Question Evo 9 MR Rattle Noise

I've had this issue for a couple months now. It used to only occur when going through turns at higher speeds. Now it happens pretty much anytime I'm driving, whether I'm taking a turn or going in a straight line. It does not occur at idle, or when I stop. If I turn sharp left it appears to go away. It sounds like aluminum scraping against another metal. I made a video its hard to here over my engine in the video and sounds quite faint, but in person its loud and annoying. We have looked over drive train/axles/etc and made sure all was tight. Has anyone heard this noise before and knows what it might be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by xXConnartistXx; Jul 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2015 | 01:45 PM

Found the cause. Got my car up on the lift over the weekend. Turns out the drive shaft is trying to tear a hole in my resonator. Fix was to loosen bolts on mid pipe and use a crow bar to push it over then tighten the bolts back up. I also replaced the rubber hangers that held it closer to the underside of the car and away from the drive shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Evo 9 MR Rattle Noise-image1.jpg