Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Old / Current GSX owners get in here, questions...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004 | 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Talking Old / Current GSX owners get in here, questions...

I have an Evo which AI track, but now the wife wants to use it, so I am letting her take it, stock, for her to learn with, and for us to keep our warranty.

However, I just rode in a buddies GSX 95 Eclipse/Talon(?), with a 1g engine, and that thing was a monster. However, it handled like crud, compared to the Evo. He is putting coil-overs and other suspension stuff on it, which should help alot.

But, my question is this, I was thinking of ditching my stang race car, and buying one of these to mod and race. Can a 1g or 2g be made to handle as good, or better than an Evo? What would have to be done to it to make it really stop and turn ?
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Road///Race Engineering
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

A 2nd gen DSM won the road course for SCC's most recent Ultimate Street Car Challenge.
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Don't know about handling as good as an EVO, but a few suspension mods and I think you'll be very happy on how it handles.
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

It will never be anywhere close to an evo.

1. The front struts on an evo are upside down. Try moddin that in.

2. The frame is much stiffer.

This is why the sti with coilovers cannot out handle a stock evo.
Project STI sport compact car did a comparison.

If you don't have to do this please don't your wife doesn't need an evo.

If you are forced fed this eclipse talk to the people at road race they tuned the car that won and used there racer in the ultimate challenge.
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, no offense, but I will gladly give my wife the Evo to get her to the track, and to keep her siked about racing. She isn't a bad driver either, she placed fourth in her first event, out of 78. Granted, some of that was the car, but not all, she really is good. And the front three were all Evo's.

Ok, let me ask this way, can it handle as good as my stang, which has front coil-overs, and rear pan-hard bar on slicks?
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

As background, I have a modded 90 AWD Talon that I used for autocrosses and track weekends, as well as an Evo.

Comparing stock cars, there is no comparison. The Evo has much better performance. If you are comparing modded DSM to stock Evo. You can easily get better raw performance from the DSM. At similar levels of track performance, the DSM is going to have to be more stiffly sprung because the suspension geometry is not nearly as good, so you have to cut down on suspension travel. You probably know all this if you have a modded stang.

Probably the biggest problem with the DSM on the track are the brakes. You really have to put some money into a big brake kit, pads, cooling ducts, etc. With some simple mods and maintenance, the Evo brakes are great.

BTW, I was thinking about keeping the DSM for track weekends, but the Evo is so much fun to drive on the track, I'm probably going to sell the DSM.
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 12:04 PM

It can be argued that the 2G GSX suspension is actually superior to the EVOs for some types of racing, since it has a dual-wishbone front suspension as opposed to the EVO's struts. Just put some nice coilovers, swaybars and maybe some stiffer bushings on the GSX and I'll bet good money it will give an EVO a good run in the twisties.

Like others have said, the boys at www.roadraceengineering.com are the experts on this, and have 1G and 2G DSMs beating all comers into a sensless pulp, just as the Archer brothers did years ago.

Tuned right, an AWD DSM is hard to beat. Throw in bad weather, and it's impossible to beat.

As for comparisons with the Mustang.... I know Mustangs can be made to handle well, but not THAT well.
Old Mar 22, 2004 | 01:39 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

had a 1g awd TSI..... i miss it sometimes because it was soooo damn fast. and mod wise the 6- bolt was just a monster... and to think i only paid 700 bucks for the car dropped about 1000 in it and sold it for damn near 3k.... but i still miss it... in the form it was in it could smoke my EVO in the str8 with no problem.
Old Mar 24, 2004 | 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Old / Current GSX owners get in here, questions...

Originally posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I have an Evo which AI track, but now the wife wants to use it, so I am letting her take it, stock, for her to learn with, and for us to keep our warranty.

However, I just rode in a buddies GSX 95 Eclipse/Talon(?), with a 1g engine, and that thing was a monster. However, it handled like crud, compared to the Evo. He is putting coil-overs and other suspension stuff on it, which should help alot.

But, my question is this, I was thinking of ditching my stang race car, and buying one of these to mod and race. Can a 1g or 2g be made to handle as good, or better than an Evo? What would have to be done to it to make it really stop and turn ?
i has a 1g talon awd, the evo is 50/50, im not sure what the 1/2gs are, but i dont think theyre anywhere near the balance of the evo
Old Mar 24, 2004 | 10:16 PM

Re: Re: Old / Current GSX owners get in here, questions...

Originally posted by kataklyzm

i has a 1g talon awd, the evo is 50/50, im not sure what the 1/2gs are, but i dont think theyre anywhere near the balance of the evo
http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/j...pecs.jsp?t=all

60/40 f/r. If this is correct then the Evo is pretty horribly front biased. Its suspension was definitely made with this in mind, however, and so its handling does not suffer too much from its unbalanced weight distribution.
Old Mar 25, 2004 | 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

The power transfer on a eclipse is 60f/40r.
on an evo it's 50f/50r.
it makes a big difference aswell
try doing donuts in a AWD eclipse...under under under and more under steering
Old Mar 25, 2004 | 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

I love my '90 GSX -- Sparco Monzas going in this week! -- but compared to the EVO, it's a dog. Simply put, the stock brakes, shifting, turbo, intercooler, suspension, and chassis are not up to snuff. Of course, all of that can be remedied with cash. After modifications, I'd take it over a live-rear-axle 'stang any day. BTW, I want a wife like yours.

Old Mar 25, 2004 | 12:06 PM

I have a '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD that's significantly quicker than my mostly STOCK (Yes, I realize I said stock so please don't flame me saying that a modified EVO ran run circles around my 1G DSM) Evo with only an HKS Racing Suction intake.

I bought my Eagle for $750 with engine and turbo problems. So far, I'm probably in it for about $10k. The head is rebuilt, ported and has a 3 angle valve job. I have a 16g turbo, hard intercooler piping, front mount intercooler, HKS intake, downpipe, high flow cat, HKS exhaust, fluidyne radiator, Greddy Profec B running 18 psi, etc. The car runs probably in the low 300 hp.

As far as suspension, I have KYB AGX adjustable struts and Eibach springs. The car handles great for canyon and general aggressive driving. It may not be on par with the EVO and the inverted struts but for hardcore track use, you could always get the JIC coilovers and have John Mueller tune it and you should be set. As far as braking, I have stainless steel lines, factory "big brake kit" (2 piston calipers from the '93+ AWD DSMs) with Power Stop cross drilled rotors and Axxis Metal Master pads.

For about a third of the cost of the EVO, I highly recommend the 1G DSM equipped like mine. If money's no object, buy another EVO dump another $10k and bring it up to 400+ hp. My opinion is that a highly modified 1G or 2G DSM is about the best bang for the buck you can get.

Last edited by Talon16G; Mar 25, 2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2004 | 05:32 PM
EvoM Guru

man the misinformation on this thread is crazy.

"It will never be anywhere close to an evo."

--- yes it can and is able to surpass it.

"The front struts on an evo are upside down. Try moddin that in."

--- Those are called inverted struts, and you can add that to ANY car with a good inverted coilover set.

"The power transfer on a eclipse is 60f/40r.
on an evo it's 50f/50r."

--- The evo is 60f/40r --> http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/j...pecs.jsp?t=all

Quick Reply: Old / Current GSX owners get in here, questions...