Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo sounds like a Subaru and I feel stupid.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Evo sounds like a Subaru and I feel stupid.

This past weekend I wanted to check the gap on my plugs because I'm trying to track down a problem that the local tuner/builder has yet to fix. I've pretty much have cut ties with them since I've paid them plenty of money to build and tune my Evo over the course of the past 6 months. Lots of back and forth, cutting corners, **** tune etc.; you just got to know when you have to do it yourself if you want it done right. Especially where I am at, there's no one but that one shop. But that's another story.

Anywho, I pulled the plugs and they were gapped at .028" My engine is pretty much not stock at all. I gapped them down to .020" like many people recommend with my mods. The ones I regapped only had 1.5k miles on them. I reinstall my COP and fire it up. It sounded like a flipping Subaru and I was confused/alarmed. I swapped the plugs with a new set. Same thing! I swapped back to the stock coils. Same thing! I started to search the forums and found lots of horror stories about bent valves, jumped timing, pistons blown etc.... I started to get that sinking feeling... then I found one about injectors not firing properly. Mine are brand new and I knew they couldn't have been clogged so I went back with a flash light and looked behind the cover and low and behold, one of the clips to a fuel injector had BARELY came off. When I moved the COP out of the way, I must have tugged on the wire popping it off. I snapped it back on, fired it up and it ran smoothly again. 3 days of headaches and worries. I just had to have a laugh at myself and a beer. I thought I'd share my blunder, ignorance, TIFU......
Old Jul 28, 2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been there done that! love when its a easy fix, even if its something stupid you overlooked.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by NoReason
then I found one about injectors not firing properly. Mine are brand new and I knew they couldn't have been clogged [...]
Are these injectors brand new stock injectors or brand new aftermarket injectors? If there are aftermarket injectors, what injectors are these?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
Are these injectors brand new stock injectors or brand new aftermarket injectors? If there are aftermarket injectors, what injectors are these?

New FIC 1000cc.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts
I always thought that the FIC injectors sometimes behave funny, but I'm glad it works out for you at the end nevertheless!

Originally Posted by hotstix
Heres some info from a well known shop/tuner on ID vs Fic

Balancing and rejection process, very first off...ID has superior balancing across the entire flow range. They also reject more "outliers" than anyone else.

2nd - they don't sell the current FIC1100 -- nor the "new" FIC injector -- because it doesn't meet their scalability and performance standards. They too quickly fall out of spec at things like low voltages and high pressures.

3rd - non-linear performance at very low pulsewidths. all injectors suffer from this and all modern EMS's even have a compensation for it. ID actually understands it and characterizes the data.

http://www.injectordynamics.com/LowPulseTech.html
(Source: http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...78#post1916178)