Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Still have my AC issues. Proof to show the weirdness.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted about this issue a while ago here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ms-2-fold.html

Got sidelined with a severe oil issue. Long story short got the car back and the issues is still there.

In that thread there is one other person with an issue like mine. He flashed a freshly built map I believe and his problem when away. I haven't tried that yet since my tactrix cable is fubar. My replacement will be here tomorrow but I figured I'd post up some more info that might help me get some assistance from the big brains on here.

A local friend of mine wired up a light to show when the compressor is kicking on and what its doing while its on and when it turns off. The compressor doesn't turn on until the car is in motion about 10 mph and turns off again once its below 10-15 mph. Whatever is going on is speed related. Also its supposed to cycle while its on and on the highway it only tuned off for a few seconds once at 60-80 mph sustained for about 5-10 minutes. When I got the car back there was pretty much no refrigerant in the system and going about 70 mph made the car temps climb significantly and took a while for them to go back to normal. This was also a problem I experienced earlier but yesterday on the hwy the temps seem pretty solid.....might've moved the needle a bit (or it could've been in my head since i was expecting it go up). Not sure if that issue is resolved but I think this is all part of the same issue.

I have the same Koyo rad (barely used), car is freshly build all fluids new. This isn't a halfcut rad or fluid thing. It seems to be electrical/ECU/ROM/Speed related.

I'm going to post this is in the ecuflash section to see if anyone can help there as well.

Anyway here is the video showing the compressor doesn't turn on when the car is stationary and turns off when its coming to a stop.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
First thing that comes to my mind is maybe pressure drops when at low speeds/stop and it shuts the compressor off. Have you recently had the freon serviced? Maybe you are low, and for some reason when moving the airflow across the condenser allows the compressor to kick on. Other than that, A/C compressor or clutch might be a possible culprit as well.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Filled up.....
I didnt fill it all the way since I may have to take it all apart again. There is enough freon to prevent that. This same issue was happening before and it was all the way full.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
gotcha. There usually is only two signals to the compressor to shut off, ac system pressure and temperature. Is there any way you can monitor those, evoscan maybe?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah when I get my cable I will log those to see if there is anything awry. I dont think this is a "normal" issue. I'm also going to flash over to my 93 map since it was built off a fresh base map will in the hopes it provides some better troubleshooting.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I am waiting for a clutch kit for my A/C so I have been reading the FSM. I never heard of one going bad but there is a refrigerant temperature sensor on the side of the compressor. This is wired in series with the clutch coil. .
Old Aug 10, 2015, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Would that affect operation correlating with speed? I would think that would just affect operation period, regardless of the speed the car is going.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Flashed a new rom with the setting from old map.........sonva*****........it works.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue I had. Glad you were able to fix yours as well.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I feel vindicated. EVERYONE didnt believe me with the exception of one my friends thats local.