Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo IV buyer, bumper, AYC, crank walk

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Evo IV buyer, bumper, AYC, crank walk

Hello from Canada,

I recently started looking at getting a Evo 4, just because their body styles appeal to me the greatest. I actually want the E3 more, but just can't find any at a reasonable price!!

Anyways, I am looking at this E4 that has a different aftermarket bumper. The current owner bought the car like that, and he doesn't know why it has a aftermarket bumper. Maybe its been in a front end collision and the original owner decided to put it on, whatever. My question is what is the easiest way to source a OEM E4 bumper and ship it here to Canada??

Also, I forgot to check whether the car had AYC or not, but I didn't hear any weird noises test driving it when turning, so I don't think it does. I also forgot to ask the owner if its a RS or GSR. Is it simple to swap a different diff if it has AYC?

Finally, the owner says the car has 160k km, but the engine has 113k km, so it could be from a newer gen evo. No mods on it whatsoever apart from a HKS cat back and coilovers. Is crank walk really that much of an issue if it in fact does have a IV engine? I don't plan on putting too much power to it, maybe at most 300hp. Using it for a occasional commute to work a few days a week

I'm super pumped to own a RHD car, can't wait!!!
Thanks for the help!!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Buy a Evo 2, 3, 5, or 6. The 4 was the first year of the new chassis and had a host of issues that were sorted out in the later models. If you cannot find one at a good price, consider importing one from Japan. It may take a few months, but it will undoubtedly be a better car.

Stay away from mystery 4 with aftermarket bumper (red flag for a crash) and question mark engine.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 10, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had 5 evos 2 of them being evo 4's. My first one had a fresh rebuild on an evo 4 engine, sold it and got crank walk on the next owner after only 15-20k on engine. in my next evo 4 it had done 141,000k already being rebuilt as well, got low compression so rebuilt and forged the 4 engine. 1,500km later i got crank shaft walk on a brand new engine. Everything replaced including the crank. As a result everything bar the pistons and head were scrap. I then got an evo 5 block, forged the crank and stroked it to a 2.3l. 10k down the line still ran like a dream being thrashed everyday. Motto of all this, if you going to buy an evo 4 then be prepared to have issues. Diff and gearbox are not as bad as they make it sound, I was pulling over 500 wheel HP on stock transmission and diff and after 1 year I never had one issue.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
Dont buy an Evo with crank walk. It will blow itself up before it makes decent power.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
all I can say about crank walk is people who build an engine and it crank walks shortly there after shouldnt be working on cars. I have been dieheart 4g63 fan for past 20 years. ALL the engines CAN crankwalk. for someone to say the 4 is more prone to it is really just a forum reader who believes what he reads. i own an evo 4 and its my favorite body style of them all. the drivetrain is just as good as all the others.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
OP check out lancer register. They have been running & wrenching on early model Evos in the UK for decades. Plenty of threads on the pros and cons of each.

As for crankwalk, the dsm guys have forgotten more about it than us evo guys will ever know. Here is a decent overview http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/cra...nation.342560/

Is the Evo 4 more prone to crankwalk than later models? Well apparently Mitsubishi added better oil ways in the thrust bearings to reduce the wear on the later engines.

Last edited by nemsin; Aug 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM.