Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need advice. My HVAC lights don't work after airbag recall.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice. My HVAC lights don't work after airbag recall.

I have been out of town for 2 weeks, so last night was the first time that I drove my car at night since getting the airbag replaced 3 weeks ago. When I turned my lights on the HVAC panel was all dark. I would like to avoid going back to the dealer, because it is 45 minutes away, and I hate sitting in a dealer waiting for my car. I am hoping it is something simple like a fuse, or plug. I doubt it is the bulbs, because all 3 would have to have coincidentally burned out at the same time the some time between the morning I took the car in and last night. I also would be surprised to find it is a fuse for just that panel. Is there a plug that could be undone? how hard is it to access?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd check the connector to make sure it is tight... if those are the -only- bulbs that are not working (dash lighting works etc) then it is only expected to be the connector or the bulbs really. These bulbs DO fail a lot during these jobs simply due to the age and not liking being jostled around. I have to replace either a meter back light bulb or a check engine light bulb on every second or third one I do. Sucks. Check the connector first though; either pull the radio out and reach behind the AC (The black connector on bottom is the one you are concerned with, not the white one on top), or you may be able to take the storage bin under the AC controls out and reach from below.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I will have to go in from the stereo, because I have the MR with gauges below, which light up fine.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you have the dealer do the airbag recall? I would have them fix their mistake.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Did you have the dealer do the airbag recall? I would have them fix their mistake.
45 minute drive he stated, only worth it if he can't figure it out.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 06:24 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
to answer your question about access, its very simple. You just remove the HVAC knobs and then there are 2 screws that need to be removed. After that you simply pry off the bezel around the radio and the hvac controls. Be gentle but firm when removing it and if it feel like its binding up try pulling from a different position.