Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

injector pulse stops after couple seconds

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question injector pulse stops after couple seconds

Car died at stop sign and here's what I did. changed crank and cam sensors it starts up then dies couple seconds later because it stops sending pulse to injectors. I'm lost only 3 things to my knowledge crank or cam sensor or ecu.
2004 evo 8.
3 weeks it's been like this. Also changed fuel pump notice some melting at top of fuel pump wire harness. Changed harness and new pump. Checked all fuses checked all selonoids.
Please help daily driven car so I'm screwed with out it.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 07:33 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
double check and make sure you didn't put the cam angle sensor on 180 degrees off, its a common mistake.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:45 AM

I didn't take the cam trigger apart. So really don't think that's it unless your saying the sensor can go in more them one way but don't think that's possible. But maybe I'm wrong tomorrow gonna install new crank and cam sensor. Double check cam trigger is positioned right. Hard wire fuel pump direct to battery. If still no luck then I'm down to the ecu being bad.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:47 PM

If you didn't unbolt anything from the camshaft then thats not your problem. The way it just died at a stoplight is interesting though. Have you checked to make sure you have gas, sometimes the fuel level sensor goes bad and you think you have gas but you don't. While you are changing the crank angle sensor you should line up the cam gears with the marks on the valve cover to make sure cam timing is correct, and inspect the timing belt and all that good stuff while you are in there. Also check crankshaft endlplay, because crank walk could be a thing. The fact that you said you have already changed these sensors makes me think that something caused them to stop working in the first place.

Edit: i missed that you already replaced the pump, so you probably know you have gas in the tank. The ECU doesn't prime the pump until cranking, you could have someone crank while you test the pigtail for voltage. Are you logging the ECU, is that how you know its not pulsing the injectors?

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Aug 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:58 PM

I know I have gas I installed a new walbro pump and tested it out of car. I'm still curious about pressure at the rail. I already did crank sensor so I know timing is good and timing belt are good. If I start it it sputters and then lose injector pulse. But I have spark the whole time. Can fuel pressure loss some how tell the ecu to stop injector pulse. When first broke down changed fuel pump with a Bosch off the shelf pump fuel barely made it so the rail. Then installed walbro pump then I get fuel at the rail but it don't seem like the volume is enough. I have to find a way to get a gauge up there to check pressure at the rail.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 01:00 PM

Also checked for crank walk yesterday and there was none that I could see.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 03:56 PM

from your description of how the car behaves when you start it, its sounding alot more to me like an issue with the cam angle sensor. I think you should verify that sensors functioning properly before diagnosing the fuel system any further.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 03:59 PM

Cam sensor I replaced with a autozone brand not oem so that's gonna be the first to change and I'll double check the ground is good on that wire harness. Thank u
Old Aug 24, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My 2003 will start and run for about 2 seconds if I use an Ace Hardware key. Maybe you have a security issue.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Yea, sounds like an immobilizer problem..
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:33 AM

The immobilizer wont stop the engine from running.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:01 PM

I turned the immobilizer off in the ecu so to eliminate that problem. I know it's not the immobilizer for sure. Wait for car to get dropped off now. Have a oem cam and crank sensor to re-install. I'm hoping the cam sensor is my problem so I'll start there.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
The immobilizer wont stop the engine from running.
Oh yes it will, when I inputted mine wrong the first time I flashed my car with a tepra rom, it would start and die in about 2 seconds.

However, OP states that it has been disabled. so we shall see what he finds with new sensors..
Old Aug 24, 2015, 06:15 PM

Well of course the tow truck didn't come today said it will be delivered first thing in the morning. When my tuner was looking at it on Sunday he inputted the wrong immobilizer code just to show me what it would do and car wouldn't even try to start. It would crank over but that's all. Has anyone seen an immobilizer just go bad. I know the code is right. And last flash was 5 months before the car just died. Have not even had the laptop even hooked up for the last 3 monthd.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 07:00 AM

Replaced cam sensor with oem one. Car stays running now if u jockey the pedal. Sensor had a lot of oil on it is that normal. But car is running super super lean it's got my fuel air gauge pegged. One step closer now.

Last edited by robertbaileyiv; Aug 25, 2015 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: injector pulse stops after couple seconds