Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Going in for Airbag recall. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going in for Airbag recall. Advice?

Hey Everyone,

My car is going in for its recall this Thursday. I am curious what I should note or do to eliminate any hassles? My car has never been to a dealer I usually do all my work myself since I want to make sure its done right. I will be removing all of my double din setup (panel and Monitor). I will also be taking a video of all of my gauges working along with lighting. What else shoudl I look out for?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had my airbag recall work done last week. The dealer did a nice job on the install, but did have trouble getting my aftermarket stuff working afterwards. I have a Orbital 2-DIN and A-pillar with a couple of gauges. The issues I had was that they blew a fuse on my head unit, and also my boost gauge isn't working now. I was able to fix the stereo pretty easily, but need to pull off my pillar to troubleshoot the boost gauge.

So.. my advice is to do what you're doing -- remove the things that are pretty easy to remove. I don't think I'd bother with the video - my dealer said that they actually check everything to make sure it works before pulling it apart. I guess it all comes down to how much you trust your dealer -- I'm pretty lucky, the dealer in Austin is pretty good.

There's a couple of other good threads on this subject on this site. You'll definitely want to check them out too.

Good luck - the good news is that you're getting a new airbag (they're supposed to be replaced every 10 years anyway, I think...)

RedAustinIX
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Take a video of the exterior and interior. Go over all the dings and what not's with the service rep. Have him sign off on the issues that you've shown him and there is nothing else he saw that should be noted.

I did my recall a week ago and I took a video of the interior since that's what they're working on. When it was done i picked it up and there was a nice gash on the driver side door probably from a tool box smashing into it and they denied it. I regret not taking a video of the exterior.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
Start here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ll-update.html
Old Aug 26, 2015, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the information guys!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Even better, send them an email with a list stating, all dash lights are working, no rattles, no alarts, no dents, no scratches on the paint, ECU has a tune, etc etc and here is a video on youtube etc.... get them to acknowledge they have recieved the email and agree.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny how we are expecting a much higher standard than some Mitsubishi dealers can deliver. Im still scared to take my car in for the recall. I know it has to be done if I have passengers someday.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

I was very pleased with my services guys. Just gotta find that dealer! I have some issues but I can't blame them. Just some of my accessories not plugged back or grounded back down. Aftermarket stuff like my turbo timer