Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AC compressor turning on and off

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
AC compressor turning on and off

My AC recently stopped working and it turned out that the discharge hose had a hole in it from rubbing against some of the IC piping. Got a new one, replaced it two days ago and ac worked fine. Yesterday it stopped working momentarily then resumed normal function. Again today it stopped working but then worked again until finally settling into where the compressor turns on and off every 5 seconds. So I keep getting warm and cool air. No leaks that I can see. Mechanic who changed the discharge hose said the old one had some water which worried him. Does anyone have any ideas/advice on what to do. Really friggin hot in Florida right now!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure the system is full.when sensor don't see enough pressure AC goes on/off.could be a leak somewhere. You can't see the leak some shops have a device to locate the leak.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deal with this on a daily, could be low or to much refrigerant, also a bad orifice will cause this. Take it to a shop and have them put dye in and see if you have a leak
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingostype420
Deal with this on a daily, could be low or to much refrigerant, also a bad orifice will cause this. Take it to a shop and have them put dye in and see if you have a leak
Well i just got my leak fixed so i doubt that can be it, but I guess they didnt put enough or too much refrigerant. What do you mean by bad orifice?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pistons4550
Well i just got my leak fixed so i doubt that can be it, but I guess they didnt put enough or too much refrigerant. What do you mean by bad orifice?
If your orifice tube is plugged it won't let the system flow freely and in that case will build pressure. When it hits a certain high pressure the high pressure safety switch will kick the compressor off.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Any time the system is open it is considered wet. If open for more than a few minutes you should consider a new dryer. Pulling vacuum, which is done after replacing a hose and before inserting refrigerant removes the rest of the water (and air).

How long the compressor stays running is determined by the heat load. If a cooler day and a cooled car, five seconds could be normal. Warm air probably means the compressor clutch is shot.

Last edited by barneyb; Aug 30, 2015 at 05:55 PM.