Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rear-ended, What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Literally just got off the phone with the insurance company. Well, they said it is fixable and are going to attempt to get it repaired. " Of course all of this could change depending on the amount of damage that is under the bumper". I will post up again when I get more information.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
If they do repair it, you can also make a claim for the "diminished value" of the car. Its no mystery that cars that have been in a wreck have a lower resale value. All you need is a Mitsubishi sales manager to write up the approximate value difference in what he could have sold the car for pre and post accident.

P.S. Work with the shop sourcing parts for the repairs and get a jdm 9 rear bumper.

Last edited by nemsin; Sep 15, 2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:51 AM

Update: His insurance company sent me a check for the repairs. I'm not sure what to think about it, considering the insurance company didn't look in the trunk or take off the bumper to see what additional damage there is. So I'm just going to stash this away for now until the body shop gets back to me.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 02:31 PM

New Update: Just got a call from the body shop and the new estimate is twice what the adjuster originally thought after removing the bumper and seeing the real damage. Looking like at or around 10k in damage.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by NousDefions
New Update: Just got a call from the body shop and the new estimate is twice what the adjuster originally thought after removing the bumper and seeing the real damage. Looking like at or around 10k in damage.

Can you post a copy of the estimate from the body shop??? and that is probably really close to, if not already being totaled....
Old Sep 23, 2015, 05:21 PM

I don't have that copy handy, but as soon as I get it I'll post it up. My lawyer is saying the same thing. So we'll see what happens from here.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_mirage22
Can you post a copy of the estimate from the body shop??? and that is probably really close to, if not already being totaled....
Well, the body shop has been waiting for the insurance company to get back to them in order to proceed. The shop emailed off the new quote showing the roughly 10k of damage and he says that the insurance company hasn't uttered a word to him as of yet. Not sure what to think at this point.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:59 PM

Well, the body shop has been waiting for the insurance company to get back to them in order to proceed. The shop emailed off the new quote showing the roughly 10k of damage and he says that the insurance company hasn't uttered a word to him as of yet. Not sure what to think at this point.
What insurance do you have??
Old Sep 25, 2015, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
You should see if your own insurance would total the car based on the 10k quote. If so, I would suggest handling the claim through them. You will have to pay your deductible, but once your insurance settles with the 3rd party insurance, they may (ask them) reimburse you your deductible.

Then buy the car back from your insurance to part out.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_mirage22
What insurance do you have??

I have Progressive Insurance (gave me a better rate than USAA). I have never heard of the insurance company he has before this incident.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 06:29 PM

Final update: car was totaled out by the insurance company. Final cost of repair would have been right around 16k.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Final update: car was totaled out by the insurance company. Final cost of repair would have been right around 16k.
Ouch man.

My buddies 06 Mazda speed6 was more damaged than this and insurance fixed it. Whole bumper was ****ed.... trunk and the lip was crushed in.... quarter panel on the driver side was crumpled in.... he said it caused 8-9k in damages. Now I NEVER park on the street. Thank to that D bag that drove off and destroyed his car on top of that his insurance sky rocketed for some reason.

Took the body shop a 1.5 months to complete.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hotsauce101
Ouch man.

My buddies 06 Mazda speed6 was more damaged than this and insurance fixed it. Whole bumper was ****ed.... trunk and the lip was crushed in.... quarter panel on the driver side was crumpled in.... he said it caused 8-9k in damages. Now I NEVER park on the street. Thank to that D bag that drove off and destroyed his car on top of that his insurance sky rocketed for some reason.

Took the body shop a 1.5 months to complete.

That sucks man. Why in the hell did his insurance go up? I took mine to the best body shop in the area and they weren't having the LKQ stuff. Everything had to be OEM and they said that from the get go to the company. Insurance said that it far exceeded the threshold for repair. I'm over it. Driving a crappy rental. And on the lookout for my next set of wheels.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I have a silver 03 myself and it hurts to see it like that. Scary to think that little of damage caused that much and for it to be totaled. Are you going to get it back? I think Evos are one car you should never let insurance take. Always get it back and get everything of Value off it. Hell if the headlights are good youre looking at $300 a piece right there. Hope you get enough to at least find another CT9A. Good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks man. Why in the hell did his insurance go up? I took mine to the best body shop in the area and they weren't having the LKQ stuff. Everything had to be OEM and they said that from the get go to the company. Insurance said that it far exceeded the threshold for repair. I'm over it. Driving a crappy rental. And on the lookout for my next set of wheels.
I didn't ask why his insurance sky rocketed but all I know is he swapped insurance company haha.