Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rear-ended, What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear-ended, What should I look for?

I thought I would ask those far more knowledgeable than I. My car was rear ended and off to the body shop. What should I be looking for as far as additional damage to the car. It was towed to my house and has been here a few days. I have some neck and back injuries and can't really get under the car. But I don't want to just blindly trust the insurance company either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pics attached.

Old Sep 11, 2015, 09:10 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Glad your ok. Your car reminds me alot of mine, same year and color, similar level of wear etc. So it hurts a little extra to see it like that. Its hard to tell the extent of the damage with the bumper cover on and the trunk area not visible. I would strongly advise you to take it to a shop that specializes in high performance vehicles at least for the estimate. My usual advice is to find out who the local porsche dealer uses for their repair work and go there.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the previous post. It looks simple, new rear bumper and trunk but, you can't go on that until you see the underside of the car. If your location is still accurate, try IAG Performance in Westminster, MD. They are a subie shop BUT, they do bodywork on all cars and they are a incredibly professional and reputable shop. Good luck!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 09:03 AM

i have done body work for six years now and it looks like you might have rear body damage. so you probably need a rear bumper, tailights, trunk, bumper brackets, maybe a bumper absober, maybe a reinforcment bar, and maybe a rear body or just to have it repaired. cant tell without the bumper off. what hit you?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 09:08 AM

Also the insurance company might try to just paint those panels that are damaged but tell them you want both quarter panels blended, otherwise the silver will not match, the silver is so hard to match without blending. If you were close enough id tear it down for you and write a supplement for the insurance so they can not screw you but post more pictures up if ou can without the bumper on i should be able to tell you easily then
Old Sep 13, 2015, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poor evo =(.

But I bet you can get the shop to order the JDM Bumper =).

Sucks that the accident is going to go on its carfax.... (most likely). I crashed my Evo X into a small snow bank and caused 2400 in damages (labor and parts). New bumper and aero kit.

For some reason it didn't go on the carfax.... you might get lucky lol.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Check out this thread on SocalEvo, watch for crumpled interior stuff

It's not the end of the world if it has to be straightened out, but you'd be surprised how far the damage can travel

http://www.socalevo.net/threads/233245-Rear-End-damage
Old Sep 14, 2015, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_mirage22
i have done body work for six years now and it looks like you might have rear body damage. so you probably need a rear bumper, tailights, trunk, bumper brackets, maybe a bumper absober, maybe a reinforcment bar, and maybe a rear body or just to have it repaired. cant tell without the bumper off. what hit you?

I appreciate the advice. It was a 97 4 Runner with a rather sizable Tubular Front bumper and skid plate combo. I'll try to get some more pictures. of all the damage. As of right now both quarter panels are bent too I reckon, as its very difficult to open the rear doors.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Name User
Check out this thread on SocalEvo, watch for crumpled interior stuff

It's not the end of the world if it has to be straightened out, but you'd be surprised how far the damage can travel

http://www.socalevo.net/threads/233245-Rear-End-damage
Cool, good lookin' out
Old Sep 14, 2015, 07:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by NousDefions
I appreciate the advice. It was a 97 4 Runner with a rather sizable Tubular Front bumper and skid plate combo. I'll try to get some more pictures. of all the damage. As of right now both quarter panels are bent too I reckon, as its very difficult to open the rear doors.
wow thats alot of damage to the unibody if you are having trouble opening the doors. I hate to say this but chances are its going to be totaled. At that level of damage i believe the procedure for repair is getting it on a frame jig, getting the unibody straight again and then replacing the quarter panels while its still on the jig. Most porsche's get totaled out in this scenario, which is why i suspect your car will be too. If that happens, the best thing to do would be to make sure you are getting a fair amount from the insurance company. Then keep the car and part it out.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
wow thats alot of damage to the unibody if you are having trouble opening the doors. I hate to say this but chances are its going to be totaled. At that level of damage i believe the procedure for repair is getting it on a frame jig, getting the unibody straight again and then replacing the quarter panels while its still on the jig. Most porsche's get totaled out in this scenario, which is why i suspect your car will be too. If that happens, the best thing to do would be to make sure you are getting a fair amount from the insurance company. Then keep the car and part it out.
I Finally had the adjuster come out and look at the car. They have been playing hide a seek with me since Wednesday. He snapped a few pictures, and almost immediately said that the car will more likely be totaled out. What irritated me about the whole situation was....He had NO IDEA what an Evo was. He didn't know it was all wheel drive, turbo charged....nothing. So that was somewhat disheartening. He couldn't get the rear passenger door open either, and that is exactly when he made the comment. My fear is that they are going to offer me crap for a settlement. I did have all the receipts for my motor build, MAP turbo, coilovers, tune and the like. He was almost in shock when he saw what I had price wise in the car. I guess the good thing that there is an Evo for sale at a local dealership for a decent sum, with about the same miles.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Totalled out is what you want. Gives you the option of walking away with the money, or buying the car back from insurance to repair/part out at your discretion. Start pulling off any aftermarket parts you can now and putting stock parts back on.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by NousDefions
I Finally had the adjuster come out and look at the car. They have been playing hide a seek with me since Wednesday. He snapped a few pictures, and almost immediately said that the car will more likely be totaled out. What irritated me about the whole situation was....He had NO IDEA what an Evo was. He didn't know it was all wheel drive, turbo charged....nothing. So that was somewhat disheartening. He couldn't get the rear passenger door open either, and that is exactly when he made the comment. My fear is that they are going to offer me crap for a settlement. I did have all the receipts for my motor build, MAP turbo, coilovers, tune and the like. He was almost in shock when he saw what I had price wise in the car. I guess the good thing that there is an Evo for sale at a local dealership for a decent sum, with about the same miles.
the guy may not know exactly what the car is worth if he doesnt even know what it is. and the frame work actually may not be as bad as you think. you hook the rear body up to a clamp and when they pull it it should suck the quarters back out and may possibly need a little mudwork. and look up the kbb on your car because the insurance company will usually give you about that. but if it does total you can tell them you want to keep the car and i believe they might still give you some money. Just remember that no matter what they tell you, if it totals, it is still YOUR car and you have the right to keep it and make sure you ask about every detail if it does like if you will recieve any money too
Old Sep 14, 2015, 03:43 PM

also if your hurt yourself you should get a nice insurance check from the other persons insurance if you file. if it titals take the money you get from the insurance plus the injury and get your car fixed the way you want!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_mirage22
also if your hurt yourself you should get a nice insurance check from the other persons insurance if you file. if it titals take the money you get from the insurance plus the injury and get your car fixed the way you want!

I am literally copying all your advice on my tablet to have it in front of me every time his insurance calls. Sounds a bit silly, but my last car accident was in 1993 and times have definitely changed damn I'm old. Again, thanks for the advice. I'll keep posting in here as I get updates

Quick Reply: Rear-ended, What should I look for?