Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tuning shops

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning shops

Anyone known of a good tuning shop for an evo 8 near NYC?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Stm
Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:26 AM

I know theres DG Motors in Lindenhurst, NY and IveyTune in NJ. Most people will recommend IveyTune.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I would stay far far away from the tri-state area for a tune. Horror stories a plenty.

Check out Evans Tuning Mt Bethel PA. Hands down the best tuning shop, performance car shop I have ever stepped foot in.

Jeff is class act
Old Nov 3, 2015, 03:56 AM

STM, and e-spec would be the two shops I would trust the most.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
like What B Roharik Said STM, Espec, And Ivey Tuned all Great shops.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 09:02 AM

Wouldn't go with Ivey Tune. Bought a car that was built / tuned by them. Car knocked, blew a gasket, we saw it wasn't machined, and upon tear down saw that it looked like it was put together by a child. One of the cylinders was larger than the rest, it was crooked etc.

Last edited by BeastYamin; Nov 12, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And which car is this? Car that was supposedly built by us. You are either stupid or crazy to post something like this when you are not sure.

Sean
Old Nov 10, 2015, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Espec tuned there no problem i trust erkel
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:02 AM

It was the car built for Spock. The car ran decently for 3,000 miles, then the transmission went, turbo, and gasket, where upon going to fix these things we saw numerous motor issues. Engine breakdown showed very poor assembly and practice, cut corners, wherever it was done. (Have photos) After bringing it to you guys, you pulled timing and reduced boost about 4 pounds to deal with some knock. I took the car to a shop here, and they called you up to discuss issues with the car and you guys basically said this has nothing to do with you.

I'm not here to bash, I'm just sharing my experience and I can guarantee you I'm not stupid or crazy, and I am sure. I'm sure quality has gone up since the car was built, and I have read many good things, but from my experience I just happened to buy a vehicle that performed okay for a few months, then had to dump 10k into it.

Last edited by BeastYamin; Nov 12, 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wanted to set up an appointment with ivey but it seems like I would have an easier time getting the president of this country on the phone...
I spoke to sean once then was left on hold for 10 minutes so I hung up.
If they don't want the money I'll drive to cbrd or e spec.......
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BeastYamin
It was the car built for Spock. There might have been some dishonesty on the sellers part... I don't know. There could be a possibility the engine got rebuilt very poorly somewhere else and it was undocumented. However in my experience, the car ran fine for 3,000 miles, then the transmission went, turbo, and gasket, where upon going to fix these things we saw numerous motor issues. Obviously the others could be attributed to the prior owner beating on the car, but engine breakdown showed very poor assembly and practice, cut corners, wherever it was done. (Have photos but not a big deal) After bringing it to you guys, you pulled timing and reduced boost about 4 pounds to deal with some knock. I took the car to a shop here, and they called you up to discuss issues with the car and you guys basically said this has nothing to do with you.

I'm not here to bash, I'm just sharing my experience and I can guarantee you I'm not stupid or crazy, and I am sure. I'm sure quality has gone up since the car was built, and I have read many good things, but from my experience I just happened to buy a vehicle that performed okay for a few months, then had to dump 10k into it.
So you're blaming a badly built, and undocumented, motor on a shop that "supposedly" built the motor because a semi-shady previous owner told you they did?

I won't argue with the post-rebuild you did and then taking it back to the shop, but don't blame a shop for problems unless you can prove they caused them, which it doesn't sound like you can. You bought a built car, there are inherent risks regardless of who built the motor. When you're buying a built car without any documents, you're asking for issues.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
So you're blaming a badly built, and undocumented, motor on a shop that "supposedly" built the motor because a semi-shady previous owner told you they did?

I won't argue with the post-rebuild you did and then taking it back to the shop, but don't blame a shop for problems unless you can prove they caused them, which it doesn't sound like you can. You bought a built car, there are inherent risks regardless of who built the motor. When you're buying a built car without any documents, you're asking for issues.
You didn't read any of my post correctly it seems. I was saying it's a possibility, though highly unlikely, as I like to give places the benefit of the doubt since everyone likes to weep about these things. There was no "post rebuild", the build was documented and done at Ivey Tuning. Actually it seems you read everything incorrectly, so I invite you to do so again, perhaps with all this in mind. I have receipts for all the work, and I have pictures of the hack job. I guess I was being too nice and unclear in my first post by being polite. What does "proving" mean to you? Receipts for all the work and pictures of how bad it was isn't enough? I am merely here to share my experience and give my opinion based on my experience.

I also appreciate you clarifying that there are risks with buying a built motor. I had no idea. Crazy. Yeah there are risks, but nothing built by a "professional" should ever look like this when broken down.

Last edited by BeastYamin; Nov 12, 2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BeastYamin
Wouldn't go with Ivey Tune. Not sure the full story, but bought a car that was supposedly built / tuned by them. Car knocked, blew a gasket, we saw it wasn't machined, and upon tear down saw that it was put together by a child. One of the cylinders was larger than the rest, it was crooked etc.
I'm not discussing it any further than this, but the bold part sums up why I'm saying don't blame them for something you aren't sure of. If you have receipts for it, then there's no "supposedly" to the statement.

@OP - CBRD is in PA. Not in NYC but they're also good
Old Nov 12, 2015, 02:52 PM

My apologies. Posts have been edited to reflect that it was.