Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

no AYC, ACD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2002, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys still don't have your Evos from EI?! I would be pretty aggravated by now. How long has this been going on now? Didn't you have to pay for them back in Feb.?
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

broeli,

yes I had to pay it back in late February, but remember I was the 1st one who bought it through him. Being the 1st always takes longer, but I will reap the benefits of it when I get to drive my Evo.

It seems to be a problem for you. I had a chance to do it back then and am never looking back. The cars are about 3 weeks / 1 month to complete I believe.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

thank you WRC, nicely said
Old Aug 18, 2002, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

No, I'm just surprised that each month it seems to be "just a month away"...I was just wondering what is going on with it still?
At least you'll have a new, low mileage '02 Evo I guess...when you get it. Yes, you will reap the benefits when you get to drive it.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:16 AM

WRC4ever,
when i said i didnt want the AYC, i didnt mean that it was crap. its just that for the money i dont want the AYC, just the ACD. even though i highly doubt they will offer one or the other i just prefer to have control over the center diff then have the AYC. and yes you are right that drifting is actually the slowest way around a corner and that AYC helps you drive the turns faster but im not going to race my car. i dont want to sound like some idiot kid, but i want to be able to drift the car. i have plenty of dirt roads by me and when it snows drifting is so much fun. basically what im saying is for the money is most likely going to charge for the AYC i'll say no thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

silverkorn,

no problem, if has an option for AYC and it costs more $$, then I agree to not put in on unless you seriously consider racing the car the way I described in my previous comment. In your case, since you have dirt roads nearby and snow (lucky you, I am in SoCal), then it would be loads of fun to drift around, I agree. Just be careful
Old Aug 18, 2002, 02:10 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WRC4ever
silverkorn,

it amazes me that so many people are bashing the AYC because it doesn't let you drift that easy. Have you for a second stopped and thought about WHEN you will be drifting? Is that something you'd do every day? Are you gonna rally compete with this car? If not, I hate to tell you but usually drifting is not the fastest way around a corner. On a race track you usually want to keep a solid line and not drift your way around a corner. On an Autocross course you will make some calculated drifting (notice I said SOME) but nothing the AYC can't help with. The AYC is a nuisance in rally, where drivers constantly drift around corners on gravel, snow, tarmac. But again, unless you are Rally driving, the AYC can actually help you out with your lap times.

It seems almost everyone on this board talk **** about the AYC. Have you even tried it?

I know that soon after I start competing with my new Evo7 RS2, I will post some comments about the AYC. I will not be rally racing, so the AYC is staying on for now. I'll be doing AutoXes and race track events.
Very well said my man!
Old Aug 19, 2002, 01:02 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silverkorn
i have a top gear video where the guy test drove the EVO 7 and the WRX STi. he said he liked the STi better cause it had more power and you can get it to drift so easy. you can get the EVO to drift that easy when you got AYC.
Can you share with us which video this is?

Is it Tiff Needle doing his thing in a silver Evo then in a blue STi?

If so, I never recall him saying anything close to what you just said.

Besides, I extremely highly doubt that AYC PREVENTS you from drifting. AYC reduces understeer. Yea sure maybe without AYC you'll drift more, but most of the time it'll be understeer push-type of drifting (or perhaps 4-wheel drift if you brake late into the corner).

With AYC, the understeer-prone Evo becomes more neutral, hence more easily steered by throttle. Now THAT my friend, is always a good news

IMHO scrap the ACD. Snow, gravel etc. blah! It only complicates matters and leave more room for electronic glitch. What ACD does is simply move power more to the front wheels as you cycle through the options (i.e. in Gravel mode you understeer more than Tarmac, in Snow mode you understeer more than Gravel).

It's cool to show off to your friends, but I'm not sure if it REALLY works wonders.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 04:08 PM

yea the top gear video i was talking about is the "test" drive of the silver 7 and the blue STi. i love that video.

unless i missing something i thought with the ACD you were able to change where the power goes. like if its tarmac then it would be 30-70, gravel 40-60 and snow as 50-50. for the kind of driving im going to be doing this is what im looking for. i really want to get my EVO all muddy and then take it in the snow and do as the subaru people call "scooby nuts" (AWD wheel spin). this is not a car that will always see the tarmac, but exactly what the ACD says, gravel (dirt) and snow. but then again thats just me.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:39 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

silverkorn - yes basically you're right about the ACD; it allows you to change the power distribution between front and rear wheels.

You're the first person that I know of who intends to use it but then again in my part of the world there's no snow and hardly muddy roads left.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remenber AYC is not anything like dynamic stability control that uses the brakes to stabilaize the car. AYC cannot be turned off. Drifting is very possible in cars with AYC. To improve the transition to oversteer upgrade the ACD ecu to the "K1" ralliart sports ACD ECU. Pretty common mod and very well thought of.

Erik
Old Aug 19, 2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by erikgj
To improve the transition to oversteer upgrade the ACD ecu to the "K1" ralliart sports ACD ECU.
Erik
you lost me

but your right, you can drift a car with AYC, for a good example look at the video in the Evolutionm.net video section. but for the money i dont see it as an option that the EVO HAS to have to make it an EVO. Although the ACD i do believe gives the EVO its uniqueness. the Subaru STi has an ACD, but it more of a dial that you can adjust and not 3 settings like the EVO has.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:01 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Here's a thought about ACD.... why not develop an ECU that allows you to control the FR power distribution. I'm sure there is a max range mechanically, like say 90% max to either side, but imagine an ECU that would allow you to control that setting.

With something like that you could have a 10/90 FR distribution for drag racing or just to have a semi RWD experience for a few hours

Mark
Old Aug 20, 2002, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KK
Here's a thought about ACD.... why not develop an ECU that allows you to control the FR power distribution. I'm sure there is a max range mechanically, like say 90% max to either side, but imagine an ECU that would allow you to control that setting.

With something like that you could have a 10/90 FR distribution for drag racing or just to have a semi RWD experience for a few hours

Mark
There are several aftermarket ACD ECUs on the market. The max range is pretty close to 100% fore or aft. The tarmac setting is biased rearward. The pressures and response time of the ACD are in the WRC league.

The AYC is more complicated and I do not know of anyone that offers alternate programming for that function. But the reports from K1 users is that at break away it is vastly more progressive and Mechanical LSD like. The faster locking "K1" ACD ECU reduces the AYC work load so the end effect alters the behavior of the AYC system.

Erik

I will be getting the K1 for may Evo BTW.

Erik

Last edited by erikgj; Aug 20, 2002 at 01:15 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 01:23 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Erik, What is the cost for the K1 ECU?

Quick Reply: no AYC, ACD?