Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

no AYC, ACD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2002, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
erikgj wrote:
I am bit older than you then Mr. AWD.
Interesting that you where able to guess my age from the couple of posts....

Are you sure that you are that old?

Mr. AWD
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MrAWD

Interesting that you where able to guess my age from the couple of posts....

Are you sure that you are that old?

Mr. AWD
Yes
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, how old am I?

new icons ... sweet
chk em out

cfreak: ick:
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

they dont all wrk cause colon followed by the letter p is already taken as tounge sticking out... glitches aint they a *****
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

I hear ya, why not just rename them?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Cause im not a moderator. cfreak: ick:
Old Aug 21, 2002, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

"the ayc work wondefully"

LOL!!!

"For rs hardcore drivers"

RE-LOL!!!

Claudius! did you read that?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by erikgj

> MrAWD wrote:
> Are you sure that you are that old?

Yes
Boy, you must be an ancient one then!!! My bones can feel every weather change around here, so I can't even think what kind of meteorologist you have to be!!!

Mr AWD
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by GDB
What I meant as a gimmick is that it's useless in real world usage.

None of my buddies who drive Evo VII ever switch out of Tarmac setting. A few of them tried the other settings, only to find themselves understeering in the corners.

I mean, sure it may be useful if you plan to take the Evo in the snow or mud, but how many of you plan to do that?

Besides, if THAT is the plan of action, Mitsu should've anticipated that these people are hardcore. But hardcore people can choose the RS instead. And guess what: the 3-setting switch on the RS is an option. Which leads me to believe, even in competition trim, it's not necessary. Hence a gimmick

Again, all IMHO.

Oh people might point out that since AYC isn't available in RS, that it's a gimmick too if following my logic.

No, AYC DOES work. It works wonderfully I must say.

ACD switch does work as well. But it works to promote more understeer. So MAYBE it's good for the newbies pushing this car for the first time around the track. Other than that... well like I said, maybe it works under snow and gravel conditions but I don't know anyone who has tried it.

By the way erikgj, the ACD details you provide, that sounds like AYC. You sure that's what ACD does, in STANDARD form?

Oh wait put it this way: ACD by itself, that is the center differential, DOES work I have no doubt about it. But the 3 switches are options which I think hardly anyone will EVER use for real.

So an Evo with ACD and AYC 100% in Tarmac mode is good enough for me.
I cannot believe what you have written above. Lots of

First, I don't know about your friends but almost everybody I know who has a 7 uses the ACD settings. In addition, most of them say that the "Gravel" setting gives the best balance on dry tarmac. I also switch to the "snow" setting when it is wet.

You clearly don't understand how the ACD works - erikgj simplified it. The actual inputs are - steering angle, throttle position, speed of each wheel, longitudinal and lateral g force, vehicle speed plus another I cannot remember. The ECU basically works out the ideal front/rear torque split and constantly adjusts it. The three settings are just different programmes. I personlly think their names are misleading. In fact, the fastest track times achieved in Japan during testing were achieved on the gravel setting. Driving style will determine which setting best suits you in any given condition.

Next you say the AYC works wonderfully. Well, it is a lot better than on the 6 but you can still feel it having an effect and it is far from perfect. However, it is close enough to being good that IMO, its not worth changing. Interestingly, when using the K1 ACD ECU, the AYC seems to behave much better. I suspect this is due to better power distribution to the AYC.

As for you being happy with the ACD always in tarmac and the AYC, great. But not me or many others I know.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

GDB wrote:
What I meant as a gimmick is that it's useless in real world usage.

None of my buddies who drive Evo VII ever switch out of Tarmac setting. A few of them tried the other settings, only to find themselves understeering in the corners.

I mean, sure it may be useful if you plan to take the Evo in the snow or mud, but how many of you plan to do that?

Besides, if THAT is the plan of action, Mitsu should've anticipated that these people are hardcore. But hardcore people can choose the RS instead. And guess what: the 3-setting switch on the RS is an option. Which leads me to believe, even in competition trim, it's not necessary. Hence a gimmick
What you are missing to realize here is that active diffs are there to control how loose the car is going to be. If you would drive a Tarmac setting in the snow, you would feel like pushing your old Camaro through the white stuff (well, not that bad, but close to it).

About the RS and options on that one, you are off too. That car is meant for people that are planning to race the car. Why would they spend some extra money to have a factory brakes or differentials or anything else, when they will use their own anyway, which is more appropriate for the hard core racing. RS has 3-setting switch an option just for that, but not because the car doesn't need it as you might think of it.

GDB also wrote:
ACD switch does work as well. But it works to promote more understeer. So MAYBE it's good for the newbies pushing this car for the first time around the track. Other than that... well like I said, maybe it works under snow and gravel conditions but I don't know anyone who has tried it.
Wrong again. ACD is not there to promote the understeer. It is there (in combination with the AYC, of course) to make rear end more playful (you can read it loose as well) and that is the best feature of the EVO compare to the almost all other cars.

Instead of thinking that Tarmac is the standard mode for the ACD, you should think of it as the most aggressive settings, which creates most of the oversteer in the car. The Snow settings one the other hand is more like the normal (kind of like 50-50) distribution between the front and the rear. If you would have no active diffs in there, that is most likely how would the car feel.

and GDB wrote:
By the way erikgj, the ACD details you provide, that sounds like AYC. You sure that's what ACD does, in STANDARD form?

Oh wait put it this way: ACD by itself, that is the center differential, DOES work I have no doubt about it. But the 3 switches are options which I think hardly anyone will EVER use for real.

So an Evo with ACD and AYC 100% in Tarmac mode is good enough for me. [/B]
Well, Eric was just trying to explain to you in a little more simplistic way how things are. I guess, it didn't work.

Mr AWD
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:50 PM

How much the Cusco diffs cost, and that is all of them people, front, rear and center. There must be a reason BOZZ replaced them in the first place.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by stgdz
How much the Cusco diffs cost, and that is all of them people, front, rear and center. There must be a reason BOZZ replaced them in the first place.
If you really believe that they are that superior, WRC cars would all use them!

As of the reason, how is just a marketing thing between the BOZZ and the Cusco...

Mr AWD
Old Aug 22, 2002, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have a ? MrAWD
Does the ACD vary the percentage of front to rear power beyond the setting it is programed for (ie. even though TARMAC mode is 60/40 rear to front it will vary the percentage based on inputs)?

Quick Reply: no AYC, ACD?